Terrible Twos!

Community Leader
Terrible Twos!
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 12:38am

Whining, hitting, biting, kicking...am I the only one dealing with this?

Michelle

Mom to Addison (7) & Gabriel (4)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 8:14am
Jesse has started throwing tantrums when he doesn't get what he wants - usually it's because we won't let him outside or he has to come back in the house, or I won't let him sit on the refrigerator ledge (with the door open) and eat his apple.

He has also started to throw his toys at us - but it's not in a mean-spirited or angry way. His brother has been showing him how to play baseball and basketball, so now he thinks he's playing sports and throwing balls. I have to admit he has a good arm, we just have to work on the aim.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-25-2011 - 11:12am
It hasn't really hit the "terrible" stage yet, but no, you're not the only one
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-25-2011 - 3:55pm
Lots of whining and going limp if she doesn't get her way. Seriously frustrating sometimes. I think she has learned some un-ladylike behaviors since starting day care in Jan.
Community Leader
Sat, 03-26-2011 - 12:42am

I guess I need to remember that Gabe was over 1 month early....but good lord....why can't he hit the "good" milestones early like he is hitting the bad ones!? LOL

I am praying that my friends are right in that the boys have "terrible twos" and the girls have "terrible threes" because having gone through this before with my DD...I will lose my mind if this beastly behavior lasts until he is 4yo. Ugh!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-27-2011 - 3:02pm
I agree with you friend about the boys being terrible 2s and the girls being terrible 3s. That's how it has been with my experience aswell. Mathew has also started with the terrible 2 behavior. Whining, tantrums, throwing, pinching, kicking, biting, etc, etc. Oh joy. lol
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-27-2011 - 6:01pm
You're definitely not the only one going through this! Christian frequently falls to the floor and throws tantrums. He also hits, kicks, bites, scratches, pulls my hair (and his little brother's), runs away with my glasses, etc. It's not a 24/7 occurrence, but he is a big kid and when he chooses to act up, it's not very fun. So far he has responded really well to 20 second time outs in a designated time out chair. I cannot wait until the weather thaws... We need to get out of this house. I'm hoping a little energy exertion might help this situation! At any rate, here's to hoping it passes as quickly as it has started!
Health & Happiness! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-27-2011 - 10:15pm
You are most certainly not alone! We're having similar behavior here too. Boo.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2011 - 9:23pm
Tristan throws fits too usually when he doesnt get his way and almost always when we are out. Not fun lol
Community Leader
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 2:30am
Well, the worst of the physical abuse he was doling out seems to be past us! Turns out I was fueling the behavior...oops! I was giving him these really dramatic reactions (big facial expressions, dramatic "oh no's!" Time outs, etc.). I couldn't figure out why he was beating on me and taking such obvious enjoyment out of it!

Then I read this in an iVillage article:

"Subsequently, he discovers that he can get a reaction when he hits someone. He may even get two reactions, one from the person he hits and one from you. Even though the reactions probably aren’t pleasant, he is intrigued by them.

Toddlers are fascinated with what they can make happen over and over and they are also curious about how people react in different situations. Hitting people satisfies both of these interests. Furthermore, toddlers see the world only from their own point of view and therefore don’t understand that other people have different ideas and feelings than they do. "If hitting you is fun for me, I expect that it is fun for you, too." They are often very surprised at first when they hit, bite or push someone and that person cries. Sometime they continue to hit, just to see if they will get the same reaction every time and from different people.

Since they are fascinated with what they can make happen, they will repeat behaviors that cause certain predictable outcomes. These experiences can provide wonderful opportunities to learn. The frustrating thing for parents is that toddlers have to repeat behaviors numerous times before they can fully learn something. Here are some things that you can do to help your child learn positive ways to interact and also help keep other children safe in the meantime."

Doh!

LOL

As soon as I stopped overreacting the hitting stopped!

I'm sure the terrible twos are just getting started though. :)

Michelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 7:08pm
oh lord yes! chloe is a nightmare! the other day at a birthday party...another mother said to me "oh wow shes a handfull lucky you!" hm thanks lady!
Photobucket