GRIEVING - BF not working, kinda long

iVillage Member
GRIEVING - BF not working, kinda long
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 11:28am

SO I have been breastfeeding LO from day one and have supplemented on and off. The only way she will have a poopy diaper naturally is with formula. And she is a EXTREMELY GASSY baby, it is VERY smelly gas (we thought it was the dog for awhile). Right now I BF, with a bottle of formula and BM at night and BF the rest of the time with no supplementing, but she is always starving it seems. Just this morning I BF her (heard her swallow alot, she pulled off, I felt like my breast were empty) but she was still screaming and fussy and trying to latch on but just playing with it really, so I fix a 4 oz bottle (no problem with nipple confusion, she is a NICU baby) and she tore it up trying to get the milk out, she drank it all. When I pump at night (1 time all day) I get 2-3 ozs. I am eating, drinking good, have taken fenugreek from which I saw NO increase in my milk (I am taking about 4,000 -5,600 mg a day, 3-4 pills 3-4 times a day, just depends on my memory). Can my milk be lacking in something? I will say when she gets the formula she is a happy baby, on just BF she crys pretty much all the time. She was 5lbs 15ozs when born and about 8lbs 3ozs now at 7 weeks old.

I am devestated that my body is doing this to me!!!!!... I cried all last night when DH finally voiced his concern that the BF isn't cutting it and we need to do something. I love that time together with her, it is something that only I can give her. I don't want to give up but I want a healthy, happy baby also.

ANY ADVICE OR IDEAS?TIA!!!!!!

Photobucket
JJS
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 12:20pm

I could have wrote your post concerning my first ds. It wasn't that he was hungry but that he had a combination of reflux and colic. He cried almost non stop all day long and all night. Nothing I did made it stop unless I let him nurse. There were times when I knew he was getting nothing but just let him suck because he was quiet. Dh would ask me all the time if he was hungry. Finally at 5 mths I gave up and switched to formula. James was happy and so was I. I don't know what the difference was but it made it better. I too missed that special

Photobucketcenter>
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 1:43pm

we are going thru much the same thing with kate. i have been trying to keep breast feeding her all night just cause it's so much easier than formula or a mix of formula and breast milk, but she is never satisfied when i do that... not even when i give her BM in a bottle any more. it makes me sad. i didn't know how much i wanted to nurse until now she nurses all the time and still isn't full. she just doesn't seem to ever get enough! and nursing all the time makes me sore and agitated! not to mention that she has started projectile vomiting whenever she has more than two ounces at a time of breast milk in a bottle! formula doesn't seem to do that to her, and i wonder if it's me? wonder if it's her? i just don't know??

so...

this morning we gave her a bottle half BM half formula, and no more than two ounces at a time. she hasn't been sick yet today, and she is fuller and a ton more content! i have decided that i can't stress about it (not that you are doing anything wrong!) and that i need to do the best thing for kate. i agree with amy... we have to make this the best thing we can for us and our lo's. that's what matters, not how they get fed. i am happy for the women who can/are EBF, but that's not working for some of us, and i am happy that we have another option!!

hugs mama!! it's hard to transition when you get your hopes so high, and i can hear your hurt at the changes you are having to make. just remember, you aren't alone in the journey!!