Is this reflux?

iVillage Member
Is this reflux?
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 9:11am

Lucas is 8 weeks old tomorrow and he has a few issues I didn't encounter with my other nursing babies and I'm wondering if he has reflux or just a problem from my fast letdowns.

Spring Butt
iVillage Member
In reply to: boatermik
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 10:38am

It doesn't sound like true reflux to me and just a matter of how fast he is having to gulp the milk in. Angelina sometimes has a choking moment while nursing like you mention but I know it's just the huge gush of letdown challenging her. I am sure you would know true throwing up versus spitting up because the difference is apparent. My first dd was a huge piglet and used to overeat and then throw up and it was clear that several ounces of milk came out. She would soak several burp cloths a day.

To me it sounds like Lucas is just getting a bit of force feeding from your fast letdown and not actual reflux. I'm no doctor though and your instincts count for more than my experience:)

Photobucket

Lilypie
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 11:22am

Graysen has reflux and it is more of a problem after he has eaten (not during). He would arch his back and cry after eating. He would also throw up often and this would hurt and he would wince and cry.

To me, the difference between spitting up and throwing up is that when they spit up it is straight milk. It doesnt really have an odor and if just liquid. I consider it throw up when it happens well after feeding and is curdled and has a strong odor.

Hope that helps!

Heather

Summer Siggy 
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 12:21pm
There is a form of reflux from fast let down On kellymom.com there are suggestions to slow your let down down. I would check it out!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 1:57pm

Lily has severe reflux. She had it diagnosed via a barium swallow test around 6 weeks. Her Drs. concerns were poor weight gain, projectile vomiting, and "spitting up" from one feed all the way to the next (on and off for 2-3 hours). She gets really fussy, will spit up and then will be fine again until the next episode. In addition to keeping her elevated, we do give her a version of prilosec but otherwise there isn't much that can be done.

Sounds to me more like you are experiencing fast letdown and oversupply versus true reflux but have it checked out if weight gain is slow. I pump and bottle feed and it takes me 45 minutes to get 5 ounces per side!

Jen

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 4:18pm
Makena was/does the gagging thing. I asked the doc. about it and he said that babies have a very sensitive gag reflux. That when they gag like that they are going to spit up but it stops coming up before it leaves their mouth. He told me not to worry that if she is laying down at night and she starts doing it she would turn her head so she didn't choke also if we saw her doing it to just simply sit her upright. One thing that has helped us is getting a sleep positioner and her sleeping on her side helps her a lot. She also sleeps a lot better with it. But it sure is scary having her do that.
Daisypath

Lilypie
Daisypath