Body parts - privates

iVillage Member
Body parts - privates
Sun, 06-26-2011 - 12:09am
My ods James is 3 and of course Cole is 2. Mil was telling me today how bil was teaching ods about body parts ( boobs) I told her unless he was using obscene words he wasn't teaching James anything we hadn't already taught him. Of course he wasn't so I wasn't concerned. Bil can be a bit juvenile and he doesn't always get he isn't funny so we ignore him for the most part. Any way she was shocked that he knew about breast and peepees. Now we haven't used technical terms yet as I feel he wouldn't quiet get it but he does know mommy has big boobs that will help feed the baby and daddy doesn't. He also knows he has a different peepee than mommy and all that jazz. We have discussed privates are for him only and no one should touch them and he doesn't touch other peoples. Is this weird? Is he to young or is mil way to old fashion?
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 4:16pm

Piper knows she has a pee pee and it's private. She points out Ailey's pee pee too, but we are working on the no touching.

She knows boys and girls are different, but not WHY exactly

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 2:00pm
Haha. Kids say crazy things. I try to be discreet with most things. I'm scared about the baby coming and James asking questions. He has already asked if he could watch mambo come out. Lol.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 1:52pm
My cousin informed my aunt when he was about 3 and a half that boys have a penis and mummy has hair, LOL! That cracked me up. Id definitely be of the call a spade a spade school and I think that all that youve told him is very age appropriate. My class this year are 4-5 year olds and part of our SPHE (sexual, personal and health education) curriculum is to introduce the words penis and vagina. Its not done in any shocking way and I think if kids ask questions then answer them honestly. Your MIL is talking through her hat!
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 10:41am
I think you are age appropriate and it is a personal choice. I have three boys ages 6,4, and 2 my 6yo obviously knows the most- we still use the word "pee pee" instead of "penis" but he knows not to touch anyone elses and not to let anyone at all touch his (he washes himself so I don't even touch it) but I am a bit embarrassed to say that he doesn't have a word for girl parts and we haven't really discussed the REAL differences between them besides girls have different parts-period. I figure he is still young enough to skim the info and unless he asks for specifics I would rather not bring it up for another year or two. My three year old knows the name of his but doesn't even realize that girls don't have pee pees because I haven't undressed in front of him for at least a year now. I figure if it comes up we will talk about it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 9:19am
I think the no touching think comes from my history. That and mil creeps me out sometimes. I haven't started telling Cole that yet. Cole only knows about what Carolynn knows. James only knows boobs because it was a word Russ taught him. But James was very curious when I was nursing Cole and wanted to know why daddy didn't feed him like that . I figure she was being old fashion that parts should not be discussed but then I thought I might be teaching too early. Have you ever noticed my post usually involve mil?
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 9:10am

Okay besides the fact that I already think your MIL is crazy, I think she is being old fashioned. It may be that I have a boy and a girl, that Carolynn knows something is just "different". I just call them boy parts and girl parts and that Carolynn has Girl parts like mommy and Gideon has boy parts like Daddy. She is fine with that. She doesn't know that a boob is called boob or breast, and I haven't brought it up since she is still nursing. She does know that other women have them, and don't use them for nursing, as she has seen my moms (mom has changed in front of her.) She doesn't go around grabbing at others either. We haven't started that no one should be touching her girl parts yet,I'm not sure if she can understand all of that. Though I pobably tell her to stop playing with her girl parts 10 times a day,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 5:30pm

Your boys know more than Jack does, but I don't think that means there is anything wrong with it.

Photobucket