bye bye drop sides

iVillage Member
bye bye drop sides
Wed, 12-15-2010 - 4:22pm
CPSC bans drop-side cribs Ban will go into effect in June, reports say Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, December 15, 2010

WASHINGTON — After the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade and millions of recalls, the government is banning the manufacture and sale of drop-side cribs, the Associated Press is reporting.

The new standard requiring cribs to have fixed sides will take effect in June.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission also is banning the use of drop-side cribs in hotels and child care centers, although those facilities would have a year to buy new cribs.

Drop-side cribs have been used for generations because the movable side makes it easier for a parent to lift a baby into the crib. They have come under scrutiny because models with malfunctioning hardware, cheap plastics or assembly problems can lead to the side rail partially detaching, creating a gap where a baby can get caught and suffocate or strangle, the AP reported.

Drop-side cribs have been blamed in the deaths of at least 32 infants and toddlers since 2000 and are suspected in another 14 fatalities. In the past five years, more than 9 million drop-side cribs have been recalled.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-15-2010 - 8:43pm
I had to call and have the parts replaced 5 times on our dropside crib. Then one day James finally broke it beyond repair. I was so relieved that I could buy a new crib for Cole.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-15-2010 - 9:11pm

Wow, I'd've been up the creek without a drop-side crib.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-16-2010 - 8:26am

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-16-2010 - 9:43am

there is a HUGE difference in height between a crib that has been fixed to be stationary and one that is bought that way. I can barely get Piper in to a laying position in the crib at my moms that started off as a drop side and they fixed the side.

the legs on it are over 6 inches tall and the matress is way higher, hence the need for the side to drop. when i lean over it, it hits me over my belly button. her crib here, the side is designed lower and the matress itself sits only aroun 5-6 inches off the floor. when i lean over , it hits me in my upper thigh/lower hip. there's the same distance between the top rail and the matress, they just lowered the whole design so the drop side isn't needed.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-16-2010 - 10:35am
Yeah I was really worried that the crib we just got is short but it is the same distance. I am tall though so I never used the drop side anyway. But I can get Cole out while he is laying down with no problems.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-16-2010 - 2:04pm
Ours is a drop side but to be honest I didnt use it much. I had the cot set down to the lowest setting purely cos I didnt want to have to take the thing apart and change it as he got bigger. He has been sleeping in it since he was 3 months and we thankfully have had no issues. Im 5'6" so reaching him hasnt been an issue. It's a cot bed so it will be his bed once he's ready for that and then for number two we'll probably buy a new cot.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-16-2010 - 2:28pm

aaaahhhh....good to know!! I am glad they fixed the height problem, because it is so difficult with the crib we have that has been made into a stationary side.

Photobucket