Sat, 05-01-2010 - 8:09am

Company Recalls Several Children's OTC Medications
NEW YORK (CBS) ―
Click to enlarge
1 of 1
Children's Tylenol
Scott Olson/Getty Images
Related Slideshows

Celebs Who Lean To The Right 2010 Celebrity Deaths Celebrity Real Names...Revealed! Hottest Celebrity Moms Best Picture Blunders Jennifer Aniston Megan Fox -- Then & Now Jessica Simpson: Then & Now More than 40 infant and children's cold and allergy medications are being recalled because they do not meet required safety standards.

The manufacturer, McNeil Consumer Healthcare, is voluntarily alerting consumers and recalling the drugs because some of the products may have a higher concentration of the active ingredient than it says on the bottle.

On the recall list: Tylenol Infants' Drops, Children's Tylenol, Tylenol Plus, Motrin Infant Drops, Children's Motrin, Zyrtec Liquids in bottles and Benadryl Allergy Liquids in bottles.

"It's a bit concerning in terms of the potentials with overdoses with concentrations of medications are wrong for kids," said Dr. Lynn Scott, pediatric allergist.

The company said there haven't been any adverse effects but still, in a statement, they warn "as a precautionary measure, parents and caregivers should not administer these products to their children."

Pediatricians go a step further. "I would throw the medication out if you have one of the medicines that's been recalled and I wouldn't buy anymore until the company said its safe," Scott said.

The medicines were made in the U.S. and distributed here, as well as in 11 other countries.

For parents, it's a wake-up call. "These things we've always had great feelings that they were doing the job they were intended to do. Now all of a sudden we hear that there's some issues with the chemicals that they've used," said father Savino Cariati.

There are also concerns that some of the medicines may contain particles or inactive ingredients that don't meet internal testing requirements.

Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 11:13am

Im throwing out all 4 of my bottles (infant tylenol and motrin and children's tylenol and motrin) - they are all on the list.

Any thoughts on what to do for my baby who is cutting a molar!!!???

kids siggy
happy kids bw-sig

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 11:26am

ugh;( i don't know mama. other than the teething rings, biscuits,oragel<?> maybe call your ped and see what they recomend?

**big hugs** hope you all make it through this!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 6:31pm

this works well! and its cheap ;) and totally safe. No possibility of overdose or recalls

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-9103-boiron-camilia-teething-relief-20-doses

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:36am
Infant's/children's Advil is not on the list. It is ibuprofen and therefore the same as Motrin. Just a different manufacturer. Good luck with that molar!
Photobucket
Lilypie

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket