chocolate formula?!?!

iVillage Member
chocolate formula?!?!
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 4:13pm

ok, seriously? enfamil is making chocolate flavored formula!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
-Jenna Mc carthy

As a mom of two frequently picky eaters, I’m all about sneaking in nutrition where I can. I make my own organic smoothies and steathily blend carrots into my marinara sauce. If putting a little whipped cream on top of the fresh berries guarantees me a clean bowl, I don’t see much harm in it. As the song says, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
But chocolate formula?

Oh yes! The supplement giant Enfamil recently gave birth to an exciting new product, Enfagrow™ PREMIUM™ Chocolate. (I guess you can trademark PREMIUM™ if you put it in all caps, but nobody owns the rights to chocolate, apparently.) I can see the clever little marketing team sitting around their faux-mahogany conference room table now.

“Chocolate has antioxidants!” one screams.

“General Mills makes chocolate Cheerios,” another trills.

“I was raised on chocolate Pop-Tarts,” chimes in a third.

“Moms will buy anything,” they all think to themselves.

And a product was born. Except where was the voice of reason in all of this, the one asking, Do kids 12 months and older really need any sort of formula? And what about just feeding them real, wholesome food? And don’t forget, Won’t it be hard to get kids to switch back to real, plain milk after they've had this doctored-up drink?

I believe most things are fine in moderation, and wouldn’t dream of denying my children the pleasures of chocolate. I look forward to the day I can show them that it’s even more impossibly delicious alongside a nice glass of merlot. But I’m going to pass on the PREMIUM™ toddler shakes. And keep fast-fowarding through the commercials (thanks TiVo!), just in case.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy due date

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 4:31pm
Seriously?! I dont even know what to say. That is ridiculous. Im sure I will get flamed for this, but picky eaters are caused by parents. It may take some kids a while to like new things (i.e. green veggies, etc) but they can ALL be 'taught' to like them. Chocolate formula for "picky eaters" is just ridiculous. Childhood obesity is already an epidemic in the US. That's just great they're coming out with something else to contribute to that epidemic. SAD.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 5:14pm

I completly agree on the chocolate formula being a ridiculous excuse for picky eaters, that is unbelievable!! However....

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 5:18pm
i totally have to confess i had to go make a giant glass of chocolate milk after this tho!! lol i couldn't get the thought out of my mind:) i blame the baby!!

Powered by CGISpy.com

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 5:19pm
i was that stubborn kid too!! i once sat at the table staring at a stuffed pepper for 4 hours until bedtime. mom thought she could outlast me:) hee hee

Powered by CGISpy.com

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 5:42pm

I think some parents give up too easily. I saw Dr. Alan Green speak last weekend (author of Feeding Baby Green) and he was talking about how it sometimes takes kids 12 times to like a particular food. Maybe even 15! And I know *I* wouldn't be that patient. After the 6th or 7th time I'd probably just give up and say forget it already! But chocolate formula?! Come on now.

BTW.. Amy.. I LOVE your siggy!!! Beautiful!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 5:53pm

i also am not that patient. i have tried several things 5 times or so and she looks like i tried to feed her a cow's eyeball ;P so, i will take that as she is not quite ready to like that just yet!

thank you!! i just had a few made and have spent all afternoon trying to figure out the randomizer! i am SO not tec savvy!!!! lol those ladies on the siggy board are fantastic! so I have some very very pretty new ones rotating through now:)!!