Clothes for an interview?

iVillage Member
Clothes for an interview?
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 8:20pm
So I haven't interviewed for a job since I was a freshman in college. I slid right from internships into a full time position at a particular company. When I was in college, and because I was so young, I just wore a dress shirt and nice pants and called it good.

I'm out exploring job options right now (applying like crazy, actually), and spent the weekend looking for suits to wear to an interview.

I'm not sure what I should wear. A full on suit feels too formal to me somehow? I ended up getting "separates" -- black suit jacket, gray patterned pants (See link below), and a black and white silk top to go underneath. I'm not sure if this is formal enough.

What would you wear on an interview? (I should also specify that I'm an engineer and work with 95% males. Somehow a skirt suit seems inappropriate in a manufacturing environment...)

Here are the pants:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3076032

Lilypie

Photobucket

Biggest Loser Challenge

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 8:59pm
I would normally wear a suit but I love the pants you chose!
JJ smiles
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 9:37pm

When I was getting out of the army, they said it all depended on the job you were applying for. As an Engineer I would wear a pants suit. I don't believe you could be to formal for these interviews. I would also wear small pumps no matter how tall you are.

Here is another tip, and it may sound a bit crazy, but make sure you have no clutter in your car going to the interviews. If your interviewer walks out to your car and it seems in a disarry (sp) even if the cd cases are out of place it can be a deal breaker, expecailly in the Engineering field. GL and KUP!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 9:54pm
I LOVE those pants!! Very cute, but extremely professional, too. The top and jacket you described would look great with them, and I think it would be very appropriate for an interview - super stylish suit in my opinion. Good luck and keep us posted!
Photobucket
Thanks to pamelat0318 for my beautiful signature!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Photobucket
Photobucket
Thanks to Tany
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 6:51am

Thanks guys! I feel better about the outfit now.

Vanessa- good tip on the car being clean. Mine is usually immaculate, but sometimes things get out of hand....

If I'm still interviewing this fall I will probably get a "real" suit. That was my first intention, but NOTHING fits! I couldn't find a petite suit that wasn't a single button (bad for big boobs, LOL) and wasn't BLUE. Maybe when the weather cools down places will have more traditional looking suits for me to choose from that don't cost a million bucks.

Lilypie

Photobucket

Biggest Loser Challenge
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 9:32am
I think you can get away with a full on suit, but nice separates out to be fine. I would probably throw a bold teal silk top with all that black and white, I like something memorable for an interview, but it's most important you are comfortable with what you have on. I'm loving Banana Republic and Ann Taylor this past year, so many pieces to dress up or down. I also like all the ideas the Banana Republic website offers, maybe not helpful for the interview itself, but as you need to develop a work wardrobe it might be fun to look at. Good luck!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 8:40pm
i always have worn a pair of gray slacks or pinstripe pants i have with a white or black blouse with a lace cami underneath. It has always been fine ( at least i think it was fine because i have gotten every job i have interviewed for?? lol) but i guess it depends on what you are applying for too! My guidance counselor always told us not to show up in jean or scrubs ( i work in the medical field) and we would be fine! lol..

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 8:42pm
Oh and i always wear heals =) ( the pants you picked are super cute!! i have a pair like them!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 9:49pm

I will definitely wear heels! I have a pair of black patent heels with a subtle buckle on them. Pointy toes, and not TOO high of heels. Very easy to walk in them.

I think buying an outfit was good luck -- I have my first phone interview scheduled tomorrow. :-) Yippie!

Lilypie

Photobucket

Biggest Loser Challenge
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 9:52pm
Congrats I can't wait to hear how it goes :-) and Good LUCK!!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 10:41pm
are you going to dress up for the phone interview? =)

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

Pages