cough question

iVillage Member
cough question
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 4:22pm

Here I am posting about sickness again! Sorry if Im so repetitive :(

Owen has seemed to have a cold for the last week and a half or so. He had a runny nose for a couple days (to the point of where it was waking him up) and we had a couple of rough nights because of the congestion, but he seems to have gotten better. Last week, when he'd cough, there was so much congestion that he'd get it caught in his throat and he couldnt breathe for a few seconds cause he didnt know how to clear it. When we went to the doc, she said his lungs were clear so it was most likely coming from his sinuses and dripping to his throat making him cough. His ears were "slightly red" but overall, she said it was just a common cold.

Now... he changed to just having an annoying congested cough. I would say he coughs maybe 10 times a day, and its mostly right before he goes to sleep. The congestion seems better (it doesnt get caught in his throat) but I can FEEL it in his lungs now. If I put my hand there, I can sometimes feel a rattle in there, like you can tell he's got some congestion going on. Should this be a concern?? Or is it normal?

He hasnt had a fever, his runny nose is gone, he acts/eats/plays the exact same as he does when he's not sick... so the rational part of me is not worried. BUT the irrational, paranoid FTM part of me is like "why is this lasting so long??"

Is it common for coughs/congestion to linger a bit longer even after the cold is pretty much over? Or should I be concerned?

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 5:22pm
I may not be the one to give advice but Cole has had a runny nose and on again off again cough all winter. He did have bronchitis at one point but his cough was really bad. Today the ped said his cough was from his runny nose. If you are really concerned or it gets worse you should call the ped. I wouldn't think only coughing here or there and a little more at night would be anything to worry about.
Photobucketcenter>HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMES!!!!www.youravon.com/acook7612PhotobucketPhotobucketpbwl40PhotobucketsurvivedPhotobucket
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 7:25pm

If you can feel it in his chest does it sound like a wheeze or like he just needs to cough something up?

Harper had a cold/cough and we took her to the Doc, it was nothing & would clear up in a few days. Well a few days later she is still coughing & throws up mucus. We take her back & she has bronciolitis. 2 weeks of nebulizer treatments, some oral steroids & an antibiotic and she is finally better.

I am not typically a worrier and probably would have let her cough go on a couple more days if she hadn't thrown up like that because she acted fine (no fever, happy, eating well, etc).

I say go with your gut reaction. Hopefully it's nothing & it will go away on it's own!!

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 7:41pm

I made an appt for tomorrow just to get him checked out again. When my hand is on his chest, it just feels like he needs to cough all the congestion up. No wheezing or weird sounds coming from him (yet). His runny nose is back today so now Im wondering if a) it could be a sinus infection (but the snot is clear) or b) bronchiolitis, like you said! Also, he's been pulling at his ears again.... I know they're all connected so who knows what it could be.

Ugh. I hate this. I hate seeing him sick. I really want to avoid antibiotics at all costs (our ped is pill-happy) but at the same time I just want this to be over, kwim?

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:03pm

I totally know what you mean. I am not a fan of her being on antibiotics for every little thing. We specifically chose a ped who is realistic about what antibiotics do and doesn't prescribe them at the drop of a hat. So when she said she wanted H on the nebulizer, oral steroid & antibiotic I knew it was the right thing to do.

Of course she is so awesome she also recommended a probiotic for her (which I doubt most doctors would do).

I really hope that when you take him it is nothing & will go away on it's own but I'm glad you are taking him. The piece of mind is totally worth it! Let us know how it turns out!

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 2:08pm

Elena has been sick for 4 weeks tomorrow. It started with her being a little snuffly, graduated to a slight cough, and progressed to full on runny, snotty nose. I brought her to the doctor after one week, and she said her ears and lungs looked/sounded fine, and said it was just a little cold. A week and a half later, she was just getting worse - congested-sounding cough, extremely snotty nose, and she was tugging on her left ear a bit. Back to the doctor and this time she had an ear infection, although her lungs still sounded clear. We got some antibiotics and, while tomorrow will have been 10 days on the antibiotics, she is much better but still has that dang cough! I think it's just the nature of the bug that is going around now - DH and myself have both actually had coughs for weeks now too.

As for being on antibiotics, I've been giving Elena yogurt. You could do that if Owen gets put on them - just make sure it is full fat, and if he doesn't like plain, you could mix it with his favourite fruit. Elena LOVES it mixed with banana. :)

I hope he gets better soon!

Photobucket
Lilypie

Photobucket