Feeling Guilty - ODS

iVillage Member
Feeling Guilty - ODS
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 10:21pm
I am feeling extremely guilty because we had to send James to bed without dinner tonight. Lately he has been refusing to sit down and eat and he throws tantrum after tantrum all day long. He won't listen and he is now getting mean when he doesn't get his way. My sisters told me that we have to be firm and follow thru. Tonight dh made him come in for dinner and he cried to go out. Once he stopped screaming dh told him he could go back out after he ate. Well he refused to sit down. After telling him 5 or 6 times to sit down I finally got out the booster seat and strapped him in. Well that resulted in 20 min of screaming. Again once he calmed down we told him to eat or he was going to bed hungry. He still wouldn't eat but he asked for crackers so we agreed that if he sat in his chair he could have some crackers. As soon as we turned around he was up playing so we had to follow thru and put him to bed. Mind you this is an hour long battle of trying to get him to eat. I felt so bad because he sat in his room crying to eat. The terrible twos suck horribly. I just hope I did the right thing.
PhotobucketHAPPY BIRTHDAY COLE!!!!www.youravon.com/acook7612PhotobucketPhotobucketpbwl40PhotobucketsurvivedPhotobucket
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:30am
Have you looked into the 1,2,3 Magic program??? I think it would help!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:52am
That is what we are doing and he knows he can act up til 3 then straighten up and time out doesn't phase him. He will do his time and then go right back to misbehaving. We are trying 3 warnings at meals and then he is done eating. He didn't eat breakfast because he refused to sit down. I hope he figures it out soon. I will have to give in at some time to feed him but it is a battle of wills right now and he is just as stubborn as I am. I may have to check the book out of the library again and reread it.
PhotobucketHAPPY BIRTHDAY COLE!!!!www.youravon.com/acook7612PhotobucketPhotobucketpbwl40PhotobucketsurvivedPhotobucket
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 11:59am

Physical restraint (i.e. strapping in the booster) made our high-energy ODS go nuts at that age, so instead of trying to enforce time-outs on him or make him stay in any particular place, we starting putting beloved objects in time out.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 12:01pm
check to see if they have the video. I've heard it give better examples.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 12:17pm

He is doing great at lunch today so I am feeling a little better but this kid is really going to test me. You would think I would have this figured out since I babysat a little boy for 6 years who was just like this. He is a great kid that listens so well now.

He doesn't have any toys that he loves like that. He could take it or leave it with toys because I have tried taking them away. The killer would be telling him he can't play with daddy before bed but he is so delayed in comprehension that I don't know if he would get it yet.

Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 12:19pm
I will check. I have watched it once and it was really good. I def need a refresher but today has been better. With us being home I can reinforce the time out and he is listening a little better. What I need is a time out type thing for outside the house.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 12:57pm
I think you did the right thing! he was warned enough and you followed through.. hopefully the terrible twos end soon for you! My oldest it was more like the terrible horrible threes!! he was such a good boy at two! lol

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!