hospital restricts formula?!

iVillage Member
hospital restricts formula?!
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 1:40pm

Read more:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 2:43pm
It doesnt surprise me. Ireland has an even lower rate than England for breastfeeding and I know some hospitals that are very rude to formula feeding mothers. They get different grants for having more breastfeeding mothers so if you're not breastfeeding then a lot of nurses and midwives just dont want to know. I find it sad that so many people I know find breastfeeding disgusting or distasteful. A friend of mine said to me "Well you've learned your lesson for next time" after we had such a horrific time of breastfeeding. Im really hopeful that breastfeeding will go well the next time I try :) But Id like the hospital to support me regardless of my feeding choices.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 2:50pm
It's a lot different here. There is no support for breastfeeding moms. When I had Cole he had to be in the nursery for jaundice but he could come to my room every 2 hrs to nurse. Only they would give him a 2 oz bottle before bringing him to my room so he refused to nurse. I had to call the head nurse and threaten the hospital with a lawsuit before they would allow me to nurse.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 3:41pm
That sounds rough Amy. We dont have nurseries here. The baby is with the mother at all time.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 9:06pm
There is one hospital local like that but I would have to make it past 36 weeks to deliver there. Out of curiosity do you know what percentage of babies are premature there?
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-06-2011 - 10:02am

I certainly hope they have exceptions for women where breastfeeding is medically contraindicated (for example, on necessary medications that are transmitted in breastmilk that baby shouldn't have).

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-26-2011 - 9:17am
I agree with you Gwen - laws like this will only make those of us who tried and 'failed' feel worse!! That's all we need right after giving birth. After 4 lactation consultant visits and lots of formula for Cole, I gave up on BFing and ended up exclusively pumping. Cole also need formula immediately after birth, as his blood sugar was dropping due to my GD and he was having seizures on and off that morning. I was already frustrated that he 'needed' formula and laws like this would only make those feelings worse. Mothers are put under so much pressure already, this is NOT what we need.