JJ is afraid to sleep alone

iVillage Member
JJ is afraid to sleep alone
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 2:42pm

DD has been fine for the longest time sleeping by herself in her bed (she has a twin bed). Then 2 nights ago, she woke with a nightmare, screaming and running for the door to get out. She accidentally locked herself in, so when I cam to her door I coaxed her to unlock it (later I put tape over it), calmed her down and layed her back down. The next day/night she wouldn't nap or sleep in her room without crying in terror. She will be fine if I or DH lay down with her, but the moment we move away it starts all over again. She has a light projector that plays music that she always uses but it's not helping as her nightlight it seems. Not sure what to do. This morning, I thought we would sit her down and have her watch Monsters Inc and then go and say boo to the area underneath her bed and in her closet, but she still wouldn't nap today. I just don't want to give in and sleep with her. If I do that, then she will always need a parent to sleep with her.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 9:31pm

You could try the monster spray. have her tell you what scared her and then go to the store and buy a spray bottle and the "ingredients" to make the spray (water with a little soap or something silly). let her help make the spray and then show her how to spray it. She can then spray her room and get rid of the bad things. Also try changing out her nightlight. If it is reflecting funny that might be the cause for the terror. Shut her light off and look at her room through her eyes. Then you can change any scary things. You can establish the 3 night rule as well. I use it and

Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 9:45pm

i'll try the 3 night rule. monster spray won't work since she wont tell me even what's bothering her. She just shivers and screams/crying.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 10:00pm
Is she awake? It's seems like it would be obvious but she might not be. My oldest has night terrors and will actually will his bed during. Does she remember the nightmare the next day? Also if they happen at the same time each night you can try to interrupt her sleep 10 min before which will change her sleep pattern. You don't actually have to wake her just move her or something to interrupt the pattern. After a week of doing it she should be fine.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 2:05pm

I'm afraid it might have more to do with separation anxiety now. I know she's awake, because she never goes to sleep in the first place. We got her a new nightlight- one of those cloudb ladybug constellation things. I also took her to a different room that has a futon on the floor and asked her if she would prefer sleeping in there, and she immediately went into a fit.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-14-2011 - 4:14pm
How have the last few nights been? I wish I had more suggestions for you. Hopefully another mom will jump in soon with more help.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-14-2011 - 5:59pm

awful. My husband are able to (for now) switch off who is laying with her. I sit with her until she falls asleep, and then some time later in the night she wakes back up and has to have someone actually sleep with her (she constantly checks on us to make sure we are still there. And even last night she began crying and getting out of bed thinking my husband wasn't there next to her when he was!)

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 9:28am

awww! poor girl :( I feel so bad for little ones when they are scared and don't have the words to tell us what is wrong!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 10:19am

Last night after an hour of me sitting next to her waiting for her to fall asleep (which she didn't), I decided to try the CIO method again. Since we had been staying with her for a few nights, I was hoping for a different reaction. Well after crying/screaming for 5 minutes, I went in consoled her, told her I do love her, put her back down and left again. 30 seconds later she was quiet! And you know what? She slept the whole night through all by herself! I am hoping there will be a repeat tomorrow night. Maybe I will start slow. Like still sit with her, but keep it to half an hour. It depends if she starts crying again when I take her to bed. But I am so excited she got sleep on her own. I didn't really sleep sadly, because I was terrified she would wake up any minute...but I am hoping that goes away lol.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-16-2011 - 7:52pm

We have been going through something similar with Jack.

Photobucket