a month of truth - day 3

iVillage Member
a month of truth - day 3
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 6:57am

Are there any superstitions that you follow? (do you happen to know the meaning behind them?)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 6:59am

I have one that i always do. My grandma told me it was bad luck to have an unlit candle in the house. If you get a new one you should light it, at least for a moment, then you can blow it out.

I have NO idea why it's supposed to be bad luck, but it always makes me think of her and smile so I do it:)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 8:45am
No superstitions i can think of exactly, but I have a silly thing about closing all closet doors before going to bed, probably because as a kid we had a bedroom closet with no door and I had an overactive imagination and if i got up in the night I would imagine all too easily scary things out of shapes in the closet and I don't want my kids to be scared like that :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 4:50pm
I wave at lone magpies, a robin in the house means a death, I toss spilled salt over my shoulder, I bless myself when an ambulance passes by, I could go on! Ireland is the land of superstitions so there are tonnes of them. http://www.the-irish-path.com/irish-superstitions.html
Some traditions I noted at my granny's funeral last week, it is customary to bury the deceased on the third day. Businesses close their doors and dim their lights as the hearse passes by. Oncoming traffic doesnt move until the hearse passes by and people stop and bless themselves as they pass. It was nice to see all the old traditions followed and it showed great respect.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 7:22pm
I bless myself when I see a funeral. Other than walking under a ladder that's it.
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2011 - 3:18am

I love all the lucky superstitions! pennies, railroad tracks, shooting stars, wishing wells! It couldn't hurt right?

Mackay