My ears! My EARS!

iVillage Member
My ears! My EARS!
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 1:50pm
Ugh. Lyla has, as of the lst month, gotten into screaming this ear piercingly high ptiched scream that physically hurts to listen to whenever she wants something, anything. If I put her in the high chair and go to get her food she screams, if I put her in the playpen for a second, she screams, if I take the remote from her she screams. No crying, just screaming. I am a very noise-sensitive person and this is really wearing me down. I am really not sure what, if anything, I can do about it but I am having a hard time coping with it. If it's "just a phase" it sure is a long one. Any advice??
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 2:33pm

I dont have any advice on how to stop it but wanted to let you know we are going through the same thing! It physically hurts my ears when he screams because its soooo loud.

He mainly does it when he's excited (chasing the cat, around other kids, playing with toys, etc) but it's SO loud I sometimes have to plug my ears! His new favorite place to do it is at restaurants-- talk about embarrassing.

I dont know if its just a phase or what but he's been doing it for a couple months now. Its just gotten "worse" and louder over the last couple of weeks. Im sure it doesn't help that I laugh a lot of the times (mainly because of his facial expression) but he seems to think it's hilarious. And to add insult to injury, he and Gary have "screaming contests"... and they go back and forth for 10 minutes just screaming.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you Im experiencing the same thing. I have NO idea whether or not its just a phase, but I sure hope so!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 6:10pm
sigh.. i am sorry ;( no advice. just sympathy

Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 6:27pm

I don't know if this will help or not. But Carolynn has taken to screaming in Resturants. This is something I will not tolerate at an older age, so I'm trying to nip it in the butt now, so to speak. But I look at her and calmly tell her that isn't allowed and to please stop. I don't laugh, and don't encurage it at all! I also tell her to use her "inside voice" Granted she probably doesn't know what any of this means, but she stops doing it!

GL and I hope you find your answer soon :-)

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 1:09am
Masen is a screamer lately too... i try to do just a stern no and than say something quietly to him or a good shhhhh quietly and he usually quits. *HuGs*

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 1:32am

oh so funny! i just checked my email and got a letter from babycenter.com for my 10month 3week old front page was about screaming here is what it said:

A scream may sound awful to you, but to your baby it's just another way to flex his vocal cords. Many babies go through a phase during which they scream loud and long, sometimes just for the fun of it. (Lucky you!) Have patience — these screaming episodes soon become less intense and less frequent.

Usually the goal of screaming is to get something from you. Your baby may be frustrated -- babies interpret getting what they want as a sign of your love, so not getting their way can be very upsetting for them. Of course, a scream can also indicate that your baby is hurt or ill.

Whatever you do, don't scream back. Babies imitate their parents' behavior, so trying to demonstrate how unpleasant screaming sounds will only backfire.

Try to keep your cool. Calmly meet your baby's need as best you can. Better still, aim to prevent at least some of the screaming before it starts by paying more attention to your baby before he reaches his "breaking point." Make sure his basic requirements are met (he's not hungry, tired, cold, etc.), and give plenty of nonverbal physical signs of affection, like holding his hand.

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 9:23am
Just wait until you have 2 and they scream back and forth at each other, laughing.
Kieran and Ainsley sig
happy kids bw-sig