No birthday gifts for JJ??

iVillage Member
No birthday gifts for JJ??
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 9:05am

I am seriously considering not getting anything new for my son's birthday. Our house is overwhelmed with toys due to people's generosity. We now have approximately 8 million small plastic-type toys, all of which make noise. (I do have a few trucks I bought him used during the winter that he hasn't seen yet. I plan on wrapping those and calling it good!)

I suggested my MIL buy wooden blocks or something like that for his birthday, and she brought him some YESTERDAY (3 weeks early). Granted they were used (I don't care), but I'm guessing that they weren't an "expensive" enough gift for Cole since she only paid $3.

Anyone else having this problem? What are you getting JJs for their birthdays? How do I tell MIL that she CANNOT keep bringing him 1-2 new toys every month? I love that she wants to get things for him, and I've encouraged her to ask when she wants to buy something for him so I can suggest things he needs, but that isn't working.

Sorry that this is a partial vent as well as a question. ;-)

Lilypie

Photobucket

Biggest Loser Challenge

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 9:46am

I doubt that we will get her anything either. My mom and MIL are the same way. Except now that we live farther away, she holds on to everything she buys for her and either mails it, or like now that we are headed there memorial day weekend she will just fill the truck up with all her dollar store finds. plus, her birthday party is that weekend and I have to bring all my materniy clothes back, so I have no idea how we are going to do it. Told MIL that and she laughed and said she would give us cash and later in the summer we could find somehting that she is showing and interest in. and my mom is nagging her that she needs to BUY her something to open. Like Piper will have any clue what is going on!

haha sorry, guess that was my half rant too:)

I think we may pick up one of those little screens with th dvd player that clips over the back of the seat for when we do these drives to Cleveland. Then we could play her one of her baby dvds and she wont be as bored.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 10:13am
I, like you, have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many toys and all of which seem to make random noise and require 3000 batteries a month. We def went over over overboard for xmas so we decided to limit ourselves to three battery-free bday toys. I really want to her an antique rocking horse b/c they are so cool looking and like two small things but that is it! I am already freaking about the crap other people will buy b/c we dont have the space, so don't feel bad. If anything, buy a savings bond! Those wll last a lot longer than some light up noise making piece of plastic!
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 10:25am
I can relate - not myself but from my siblings and their kids.
JJ smiles
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 11:13am
This thread is missing the opposite perspective! JJ is our last baby and granted, I may be a little over the top when it comes to celebrating, well, everything! I don't often buy the children toys, especially not ones over $5 during the year. My mom buys them things like once a month. When we go to the dollar store, of course they get something, but I make their birthdays and Christmas a really big deal. The way I see it, there are a lot of less fortunate kids out there who don't get ANYTHING so my kids understand (2 of them anyway) the importance of letting the toys that don't get played with that much go to someone who will love them. JJ doesn't understand obviously, but many sacks of this toys have gone to babies with no toys. I will love seeing JJ's face light up on his birthday! Anyway, I'm planning on getting him a push/walker/ride-on type toy, a baby frog pool and frog floatie, a Leapfrog froggie, blocks, Chuck cars, a bubble machine and whatever else.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 2:09pm

A one-year old won't care if he doesn't get a b-day present. Really, spending some focused quality time playing and cuddling with Mom is what they want. We didn't get DS anything when he turned 1, but JJ will get presents b-cuz DS loves traditions and celebrations, and we want him to practice generosity by giving her a present from just him.

I totally understand about the clutter issue, tho!

Liz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Liz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 3:51pm
I agree.. we have waaay too many toys in this house too!
babies
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 8:04pm

We bought Cole a walking/push toy but that is it. I would rather put the money in a savings account for him. I also just went thru and purged the toy room. They just had way to much stuff. I felt guilty because I paid so much for these toys and they never got played with but a family in need will get them so that is good.

As for mil thing I handled mine by taking the toys back to her house and leaving them there. That way the kids will have something to play with. She actually bought James (but not Cole he isn't worthy of gifts) so many presents for Christmas that he took months opening them 2 or 3 at a time. Her house is now over run with toys but she keeps buying them and as long as they aren't in my house I don't care.

PhotobucketHAPPY BIRTHDAY COLE!!!!www.youravon.com/acook7612PhotobucketPhotobucketpbwl40PhotobucketsurvivedPhotobucket
Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 8:56pm

Ugh, I know exactly how you feel about feeling like you have too many toys.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 2:20am
A savings bond like mentioned is a really good idea! I learned my lesson with my first son on present over-doing lol so i took it easy on christmas but i can not seem to stop my mom because my boys are the only grandkids but she has gotten away from toys and just buys them tons of books which is fine because books are always great! I will still get masen at least 2-4 things but to be honest i really haven't been looking yet =/ lol but i plan to next weekend so i like everyone's ideas!

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 7:37am

Seems like we have one of everything from ODS, although it's been tough getting him to accept little bro using "his" toys.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

Pages