Question for CDing mommies

iVillage Member
Question for CDing mommies
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 6:48pm

I am seriously thinking about going cloth now that the BMs are all "flushable", but I am so confused! I looked at the CD board, and now I'm even more confused!

There were some CD moms on here, and I hope a few are still around. What kind do you use? Where do you buy them for a good deal? Do I really need to buy one of those sprayer things?

TIA!!!

Liz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Liz

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 8:53pm

Learning about cloth definitely takes time! There's soo much out there and so much to choose from ;) We use a lot of Bum Genius One Size diapers and Happy Heiny One size, but I own/have tried almost every diaper out there. I also like fitteds with covers (love MonkeyBuns website-- she's a WAHM mom who makes awesome diapers)

We dont use a diaper sprayer and never have. I dont like dunking them in the toilet (though that would be an option if you wanted) so I take them outside to our front grass area, put a brick on the corner of the diaper and use our high-pressure hose to rinse them off. This way, I dont have to touch them AND because of the high pressure, it gets all the "mess" off so my diapers are always stain-free.

As for where I buy them, I buy them everywhere- where ever I can find a good deal! One of my favorite sites is Kelly's Closet. She offers free shipping over $49 so I wait till I need a few things and just order from her. Happy Baby Company offers free shipping always, so thats a good place to start. There are a lot of other sites that do free shipping specials so you just have to keep your eye out. Email me through my profile if you want more info. I was just working on putting together a bunch of cloth diaper information for a few friends who are expecting and interested in CD'ing.

Hopefully this doesnt confuse you more, but here are a few other really good sites to check out. Some of these are informational sites, the others are a few of my fave stores:

http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/
http://www.diaperpin.com/home.asp
http://www.clothdiaperblog.com/
http://clothdiaper.com/
http://www.cottonbabies.com
http://www.kellyscloset.com/
http://www.happybabycompany.com/
http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/
http://www.monkeybunsdiapers.com/com/index.php

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 11:26pm

This totally helps! I think I've decided to start with 3 bumgeniuses just to get my feet wet (hopefully not literally LOL). I will buy a wet-bag, but no other extras.

THANKS!

Liz

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Liz

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 9:23pm

the only other things you *might* need are cd-safe detergent and maybe some doublers.

We use Rockin' Green detergent. I love love love it, cant say enough good things about it. There arent any detergents out there in the regular stores that I would feel safe using on my dipes, though I've heard *some* moms have success with Tide... I personally wouldnt risk the build up issue.

Also, we use green acre designs hemp doublers. My son is a heavy wetter and unless I want to change him every hour, I have to use a doubler with every diaper (another plus of using the doublers is that poop rarely gets on my dipes!) You could totally get by without these but it might be helpful if you want to go a little longer between changes or if you have a heavy wetter

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 2:38pm

You don't need the sprayer but it can be helpful. you can also just get a cheap plastic spatula and scrape the poo into the toilet.

The power washer one i've never heard before. My concern with that is that the poop is then getting into the ground water and possibly the city water. Which is why so many citys advocate picking up dog poop.

Photobucket< br>
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 4:45pm

Hi Liz!!

you dont need a sprayer thing, but they are so awesome and cheap (check ebay) that it is worth it. I like getting as much poop off as possible, to make it easier for the washer. But you can just dunk it in the bowl instead...

as for the types - i have moved away from fleece pocket dipes. i only use CPFS and proraps covers (they are the best workhorses, and cheapest too) Also, for light day use, i use an AIo called OsoCozy. They are pretty good, since proraps AIO are hard to find. If you can get proraps aios, they are great, so tough!!

( i dont use fleece anymore cuz they just stink so bad in my hard water situation. And the cost is just not worth it anymore. they have gotten to expensive!! CPfs are better.)

as for wheere to get them - granite smith on ebay is great for covers. Natural babies.com is a GREAT site for covers and CPFs. (get the blue stitched premium toddler size for our Joeys). Oso cozy's - just google it. there are a few places.

Good luck!!

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe

6.5 yo DD Jane

3.5 yo DS Edgar

1 yo DS Hugo

Ready for #4 any day :-)

Please excuse typos, i am either nursing at keyboard or suffering from another MS attack ;-)

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 6:50pm

You guys are awesome! So here's what I ordered: 2 BG 3.0s (each comes w/1 reg insert & 1 doubler), a few extra inserts, and a wet bag. Kelly's Closet is sending a free mystery cloth diaper, too. Then my sister sent me a couple of hand-me-down CPFs & covers (don't remember the brand). I should be up and running by next week!

Oh, and since my baby's BMs are so solid, they hardly leave a mark on her 'sposies, so I hope that the "pre-dunk/spray" won't be necessary. We have pretty low water pressure, so the rubber spatula might be best -- what a great idea!

@Jenny -- I remember you from the TTC board and early days. It's nice to "see" you again. Congrats on your new one coming soon!

Liz

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Liz

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 12:51am

Kristen,
Thanks for all the links - I'm following this thread because I'm interested in the same thing! I've been checking out monkeybunsdiapers and I LOVE the prices - so reasonable! I'm wondering if you also use their covers or if you've found another brand cover you prefer? Also, do you use their doublers? I also have very heavy wetters and am most worried about leaks.

How often do you have to change Owen during the day?

Do you prefer the flannel or bamboo from monkeybunsdiapers? Why?

How long does he sleep at night? Do you diaper differently during the night to keep him dry?

Thanks a bunch! I am anxious to try this cloth diapering thing. I've always found the cost rather prohibitive, but the monkeybunsdiapers prices mean I can order a 'trial pack' for each child (2 yo toddler, + 11 month old JJ) for the same price as our disposable budget for the month. I know I'll need more diapers, but the 5 flannel fitteds & 2 covers it comes with will be enough to get us started!

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 1:10am

I havent used her covers yet, though I wouldnt mind trying one! I have tried so many but the ones we actually use the most are the econobum covers from cottonbabies (less than $10 a piece, and free shipping!) I like them the most because I can go the whole day (sometimes more) without changing covers or having to wash it!

For doublers, I LOVE green acre designs hemp doublers from Happy Baby Company. I think they're about $3.50 a piece. They are super absorbent and they're super thin so it doesnt add any extra bulk. When we are out and about, we use grobaby biosoakers (biodegradable diaper liners) inside our bum genius covers...or inside grobaby shells. And I usually stick one of the hemp doublers inside too to give us some extra time between diaper changes. They fit perfectly with the biosoakers!!

I prefer the bamboo from Monkeybuns because it doesnt feel as wet and yucky against his skin. I have one of the flannel dipes and although cute and very functional, I wouldnt buy another. I absolutely love the fit/feel/absorbency of the bamboo.

As far as how often I change him, it all depends on which diaper he's wearing and what we're doing. If we're hanging out at home, I like to change him about every 2-3 hours just so that he doesnt have to feel wet. If we're out I usually try to stick to that time frame as well but sometimes it doesnt always happen. I think the longest I've gone while we were out was 4 hours.

At night though, he sleeps anywhere from 8-12 hours and I never change his diaper in the middle of the night unless he happens to wake up. So I do diaper a little differently. For our night diaper, I use babykicks joey-bunz pouch riders (its a hemp insert from Happy Baby Company). They are bulky (but ultra-absorbent) so I dont like to use them during the day... I'll use one of those, the bamboo fitted from Monkeybuns and either an econobum, Bum Genius or Happy Heiny cover (whatever is within reach!) Whew! Hope that made sense ;) Sometimes he DOES leak through because he's a SUPER PEE-ER! So if I remember to put them on, he sleeps in wool longies in addition to the regular diaper cover

Cloth diapering seems expensive but it ends up being cheaper in the long run! Especially if you plan on having anymore kids! And monkeybuns is def a good place to start. She is soo reasonable! And her stuff is awesome. If you join her mailing list, she has all kinds of specials! I just got 15% off my last order plus free wipes! Love her

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 1:27am
Thanks for your speedy reply! :)
I'm sure I'll have more questions. There are just SO MANY choices and those choices can get super expensive! My toddler will PT soon, and my JJ is a girl, so I think she'll train a bit earlier than my boys (who all trained right before they turned 3). I don't want to make a huge investment as I know these two are my last in diapers!

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 1:47am

I know, the choices are overwhelming! I started researching cloth when I was like 5 months pregnant... and I still learn new things every day.

I definitely think monkeybuns is a good, affordable place to start! You could try the econobum system too http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=138&products_id=2117

Its $10 for the prefold/cover and you can use the cover on any other diaper. Prefolds/covers are definitely the cheapest way to go, but I just prefer diapers with elastic and they work best for us. Hope this helps ;)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages