removing obese kids from their homes?!

iVillage Member
removing obese kids from their homes?!
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 2:28pm

What's your take on this?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-21-2011 - 12:11pm

Hi Amy, I'm Jo.. your subject got my attention and I went to read the article.... sad, very very sad,

I actually liked this...

"...before we start grabbing porky youths out of their homes and sending them off to government fat camps, might we try to change our food culture? This means doing what we have done for smoking. Demonize the companies that sell and market food that is not nutritious. That means you, candy, soda, fried food and snack food outfits. Tax them too. And get Hollywood and television to make overeating and not exercising uncool just like they did with smoking. Put exercise back on the menu for all school kids.

I am not letting parents off the hook. But, putting the blame for childhood obesity on the home and then arguing that moving kids out of homes where obesity reigns is the answer is short-sighted and doomed to fail. We need the nation to go on a diet together and the most important places to start are at the grocery store, schools and media."

I totally agree with this, we have to be addressing the way people view food .. not supersizing everything and promoting 'all you can eat' mentality but rather the healthty alternatives .. and they do exist!

Hope your staying cool, it's seriously hot in much of the country these days!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-21-2011 - 3:15pm
I don't think removing the kids is the correct answer. Maybe nutrition classes. A cheaper way to get parents and kids alike to the gym and just overall teaching families health benefits. I know for me it took joining a weight loss group and reading a ton of books to learn about labels and what not. In addition right now everyone is short on money but what's cheaper to cook hot dogs and Mac n cheese or a healthy salad with a side of grilled chicken? I think restaurants should offer at least one healthy choice on a kids meal. Change portion sizes and start listing nutrition on the menu. There should be support among parents and families and all that jazz. I think it's a way bigger problem then just the parents.
Photobucketcenter><