scary reminder about pillows

iVillage Member
scary reminder about pillows
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 1:14am

im so angry right now I seriously could've killed my MIL.

I've been coming over here during the week because my SO works nights 2 days a week. Owen was being fussy today so she took him and rocked him. I was on the computer pumping and she walked in without him. The first thing that pissed me off was that she asked "do you know where jake (the cat) is?" I said no why... she said.. just want to make sure he doesnt get the baby because hes asleep on the couch." um.. hello!?? dont leave him there!!

Anyway...I thought she'd go back in and stay with him so I continued pumping and browsing online. I finally finished and decided to go clean my pump stuff. TO get to the kitchen, you have to walk through the living room....so I walk through and I hear a muffled sound. I look over and there is owen ALONE ON THE COUCH being smothered in a pillow!!! I couldnt hear a cry because his face was in the pillow and he was kicking and thrashing around trying to move but couldnt since the couch was on a slant

I got SO scared. I picked him up and started crying. THen she walks in and says "why'd you pick him up?" I Was SO upset I couldnt even confront her. I just said "he was awake"... then she proceeds to say "well thats okay! you dont HAVE to pick him up just because hes awake!"

I know she had no bad intentions and people used to put babies on beds all the time surrounded by pillows... but... no matter how "immobile" you think your baby is... DO NOT do this. Owen doesnt "roll" yet but he moves a LOT and was able to move into the pillow and almost got smothered. So just a reminder!! I am still really shaken up

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 1:38pm
that scared the crap outta me just reding it. You poor thing!...I would've lost it on her!...that reminds me of the time dh fell asleep w/ jj and i came out to find her face down on his arm....I couldn't stop crying. I would have a word if I were you!
 Lexi D Photobucket &
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 11:16am

How terrifying! I would have come unhinged right then and there!! I'll have to drop some not-so-subtle hints with MIL in 2 weeks when she comes to watch the LO for us.

On a related note, DH likes to sleep with the baby on his chest while lying on the couch. I can see them when I pump, thank goodness, because one day Cole had rolled to one side and had his face wedged in the couch cushion. Yikes! I've enforced a 'no sleeping with the baby' rule since then.

Lilypie

June09 Boy Blinkie

DS gets BM from bottle

proud ep'er circle graphic
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 10:01am

I think you handled this alot better than I ever would have. I think I would have ripped her a new one.

Dh is not allowed to sleep with Cole in bed with him at all. When James was about this age dh took him to bed so I could pump and shower. Something made me feel like I had to go check on him and I am glad I did. He had rolled off dh's chest and then not realizing it dh thru a pillow on him. Luckily he hadn't rolled over onto the pillow yet. I about killed him right there. Now he is forbidden to lay in bed with the boys if I am not there.

I am glad you got to him in time and that he is okay. Thanks for the reminder as well.

cljjsiggy

Thank you Jenn for this great siggy

pbwl15PhotobucketPhotobucket

Lilypie

Lilypie
Photobucketcenter>
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 9:31am
Glad he was ok. I would definitely tell your MIL what happened so she hopefully doesn't do it again.
Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 9:21am
Thank God you were there. I would definitely tell MIL so she doesn't put him in that position again.
Photobucket

Lilypie
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-26-2009 - 8:04am
wow.. how scary!! hugs!! glad everyone is ok!