security blankets?

iVillage Member
security blankets?
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 1:47pm

i am cool with letting kate sleep with a blanket tucked tightly around her, but lately as it's getting warmer, she's been falling asleep with the blanket in her arms and her face snuggled in the softness. does anyone let jj sleep with a security blanket yet, other than the "doll blankets that have a stuffed head and a blanket body?

thoughts?

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 2:25pm

We've been letting Owen sleep with a blanket for the last 2 months or so. We were originally using those sleep sacks but as soon as he learned how to crawl really well and pull himself up, those things just pissed him off and he wouldnt sleep.

Usually we give him an afghan that has huge holes in it so Im not too concerned, but when thats dirty we just use a regular blanket. It gets pretty cool in our room at night so I dont want him to get cold.

So far he has done fine with it, doesnt pull it up to his face, doesnt pull it over his head, etc. I think the "suggested age" for using a blanket in the crib is 1 year or so, but I remember a post about this before and a lot of moms use blankets already. I think she should be fine since she's very mobile now.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 4:22pm
We started using a regular crib blanket a couple of months ago and have had no problems.
Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 4:41pm
thanks ladies. we have been using a crib blanket too. but only wrapped around her tightly when she is already asleep. i am talking more about her holding another blanket "linus style" in addition to the blanket she's wrapped in... does that make sense?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 6:10pm
We do! If he actually stays put when we lay him down, we drape it over his back and loosely tuck it around his body. Most nights he plays in his crib before he falls asleep, so he ends up playing with the blanket too. Usually it's bunched up somewhere in his crib when he wakes up in the morning. The blanket we use is the same weight as a receiving blanket, but a little bigger.

Lilypie

Photobucket

Biggest Loser Challenge
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 10:29pm
she doesn't do that with a blanket, but she sleeps with a sockmonkey and does that sometimes. She is so strong and mobile now though that I don't worry about it. I think the worry comes when they're in the same spot all night rebreathing.
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:57am
you know lexi, i think that's my biggest worry. she has a tendency to sleep on her face anyway... so i am limiting it for now. thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie
Photobucket