Speech question

iVillage Member
Speech question
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 10:34am
I haven't been on here in a LONG time - life has been nuts! A lot has changed for our family lately, but that's not what I wanted to post about.

My first DS was extremely verbal from a very early age and my second DS was extremely delayed in speech so I don't really know what 'normal' two year old speech should be like. Can you ladies please share with me what sorts of things your JJ is saying right now? I am a bit concerned about my JJ's speech but don't want to call ECI. If she is actually 'normal' in her speech.

I'd sure appreciate it! Hope all are well and hope to be on here more with the family changes we've had.

Melissa
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 1:57pm
Hi Melissa,
Charlie isnt saying all that many clear words but he is starting to copy what I say (well, when it suits him) He has never said yes, he says no to everything. He is counting a lot at the moment. He doesnt quite finish off his words, for example, Bear is Bay, Book is Buh, Juice is Jew. I'm not overly concerned as I think it will come with time although he has his 2 year check up next week so we'll see what she says then.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 6:05pm

Both my JJ and her older sister have been extremly verbal so I don't know what normal is either! I hope you get the answers you are looking for!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 7:24pm
My JJ is the third which makes a huge difference with speech - he says anything and everything he hears and is quite clear, even using sentences now but I remember my oldest not speaking very clearly. He was like cate said - speaking with the first syllables and still using "slang" words (babble that he made up but consistently used for an object- puppy was "gup" every time)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 11:07am

Hah! I've got one super verbal, one delayed, too.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 12:41pm
Hi Melissa, welcome back to the message board. My little gr/daughter just turned 2 on June 20th and when she speaks it's to copy what we around her are saying. If I engage her in looking at pics for example, I can ask her who the people are and she will say their names. She says short sentences when she wants something but doesn't seem overly interested in talking. My little gr/son is 5 and he didn't speak until he was 2 1/2 and shortly after that we couldn't stop him. My daughter was the same, nothing till well past 2 then constant. My son started between 12 and 18 months but I believed at the time that was early.
Photobucket