toys grrrrrrrr ;(

iVillage Member
toys grrrrrrrr ;(
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:24am

is anyone else running into this? my mom and mil and aunts insist on buying toys that "do something". a huge majority of toys that she has, she pushed a button or flips a switch and it lights up or plays music... whatever. what is wrong with having some that just ARE. that she has to use her imagination and figure out fun ways to play with them? i asked for books, they are buying videos. and so on.

when we went christmas shopping anything i suggested, mom rejected because it didn't do anything.

she saw a kitchen set for $300 she wanted to get because it did all this stuff, she went on describing on and on..

mine was fabulous when i was little. it was made of metal with sharp edges, granted... but it was just a play stove and fridge and i had a blast! the coffee pot "magically" poured when you turned it upside down, but that was as advanced as it got.

am i the only one that would love just a set of blocks, or some books, or some musical instruments ? does every toy for our one year olds have to do everything for them?

Powered by CGISpy.com

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy due date

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 11:22am

I totally agree!! I purchased a few toys for Owen (when he was much younger) that made some noise just because he likes music, but other than that, I dont really buy toys that "do things" lol. I bought him some bubbles a couple weeks ago--- do you know how hard it is to find JUST bubbles?! And not something with 5 different "bubble blowing" contraptions attached?! Ugh.

And Owen doesn't watch TV at all so if I asked for books and they bought videos instead, I would be pretty peeved. Im all done with buying toys that light up and make all kinds of noise! As he gets older, he will start to "pretend" play so I think we will go back to the basics! A set of musical instruments is on my wish list for Owen-- but it was even hard finding some I liked. I wanted something wooden. Most that I found were over-sized plastic and required batteries.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 7:11pm
Frustrating!
JJ smiles
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 9:27am
It IS hard, and now that JJ is my third, I tell most of them "don't bring any gifts, just come and play"
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 11:28am

oh i so know what you mean. i hate all the noisy toys that "do" stuff.

do you ever shop at diapers dot com? i love a lot of their toys. granted they do carry toys that make noise and do things but they also have a lot of wooden toys that i LOVE. they have a set of play wood food that has velcro(sp?) on it and it comes with a little knife so it is like they are slicing the food. it is so cute i bought a set for Emilyne and she loves it.

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=10544
here it is.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:41am
Samuel's aunt on his daddy's side said she is getting him a sandbox for his birthday. not that i am against a sandbox i just think a one year old might just eat the sand.
Photobucket