Unsafe actions...

iVillage Member
Unsafe actions...
Tue, 10-19-2010 - 2:06pm

First, this is not a debate!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2010 - 2:23pm

The biggest thing I would say is to turn off the car and take the keys with you even if it turns off the tv he can still snack and hang out till you get back... Cars are stolen all the time because people see cars that are left to warm up and steal them.. what a horrible experience to come out of daycare and your car is gone. In washington it is acutally illegal to leave your car running. And if someone stole the car and didnt see him in the back it is just scary..

Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2010 - 10:47pm

For me, it would depend on where it was.

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-20-2010 - 6:32am

I would have to agree with maybe getting a seperate key so you can keep the doors locked if you are going to keep the car running. that's the part that would make me nervous the most. running unlocked cars can seem like a nice easy mark and i doubt they would check to see if there was a lo in it or not

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-20-2010 - 8:35am

Kelly - I would just suggest locking the doors. This time of year it won't get to hot and in the winter you can carry an extra blanket to throw on him if it is only going to be a minute or

Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-20-2010 - 10:08am

I would make sure you are parked in the driveway and not on the street.

happy kids bw-sig

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 9:49am

Thanks for the replies!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 3:33pm
My kids ride the 4-wheeler too, although I don't let my 3-year old (almost 4) control it yet. Daddy might, but I don't know about it! LOL about the hogs - now that's scary!! :-) I used to play in the calf pens when I was a kid and we had tons of messy gross fun. Then again, my sister and I used to make forts in the hay loft and I'd never let my kids do that now - thinking of what could happen.... It's nice to be a kid and just play, not thinking of consequences! Scary to be a parent though...

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-21-2010 - 4:48pm

I guess I should say the younger hogs. Before they go off to market not the 600lb sows. The farm gives me nightmares sometimes. The boys do so well there. They both know that whey equipment is moving they need to be out of the way and in plain sight. If they don't know we are there they don't know to look for us so we always make the rounds to say hi to everyone. So much going on around there. As scary as it can be I can't believe how my my 2yo knows and how much he picks up just by being there.

Photobucketcenter><
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 9:09am
Farms are such a wonderful place to grow up, IMO. The kids learn invaluable life lessons and skills, but it is also a very scary place to raise them for a parent. Like you said about machinery and animals and four wheelers there is such a risk for them. I am anticipating a fight with DH in about eight years because I'm our area kids start driving tractors when they are twelve years old, and that scares me a lot. If they are only driving Up and down the field, I don't have a problem, but some drive up to ten miles to move machinery on major roads, I guess we will see when Riley is that age, but right now I am not ok with it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 9:41am
I don't know about tractors around here. Luckily they don't do to far and I don't think Russ would let them drive them that young on the road. But I do know both dh and bil started hauling grain at 16. That scares me. Russ said that the semi is the only piece on machinery that scares him. I don't want our boys driving cars at 16 let alone a semi.

The farm really is great. Last night we got to see a sow give birth and James watched as I got them babies latched on to mommy and warmed up. We had a bottle calf for a bit too. So they learn how to care about the animals just as much as they learn how to get rid of them.
Photobucketcenter><