Rant: maternity leave in the US

iVillage Member
Rant: maternity leave in the US
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 4:43pm

6 weeks for a natural birth and 8 weeks for a c-section--- absolutely ridiculous. The maternity leave in the US is a JOKE.

I'm sitting here looking at Owen who will be 6 weeks Saturday and I cant even fathom leaving him to go back to work.

I got a letter from HR in the mail regarding my "short term disability" (yet another joke) and at the end of the letter, she writes "if my calculations are correct, we'll see you back the 1st week of August!"

Thankfully I get another 2 weeks because of my c-section. I also plan on taking the 12 weeks FMLA allows, but it will be completely unpaid. We are going to take a hard hit from that but I cannot even imagine going back to work anytime soon. This is the one time i'm actually thanking god I had a c-section, because now I'll get an extra 2 weeks of short term disability pay-- how sad is that?

Maternity leave here needs to be changed. I knew it before but now that I have my own baby, it pisses me off even more. I know some women are lucky and have awesome employers who are generous with sick time/vacation/maternity/paternity leave, etc. But for the majority of us who only get the standard time off--- its insane to think 6-8 weeks is enough.

I'm so angry sitting here thinking about it. just wanted to get that off my chest

I think I'll go move to Canada now

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 6:08pm

I agree with you all.

JJ smiles
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 5:16pm
i looked at masen at 6wks and was sooooo happy i quit my job when i was like 34wks pregnant.... i couldnt imagine leaving him for 9hrs a day w/ a daycare. My older son started daycare at 17months and he was at the age where he liked to play w/ other kids and it was good for him to get out and socialize a little bit but 6wks is def not long enough and i wouldnt have gotten paid at all for the 6wks

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Thanks Michelle!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 7:01am
I agree with you.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 1:41am
that was the regrettable thing about leaving the UK. There you get 24 weeks paid and then you are allowed to take an additional 24 weeks unpaid BY LAW. It's amazing that you are actually allowed to be a parent there without having to rush back to work. I am so glad that I have the opportunity to stay home. I really feel for you b/c I can't imagine how hard it must be.
 Lexi D Photobucket &
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 8:26pm
I *bleeping* HATE it. I'm taking 12 weeks, all of it unpaid. We are suffering greatly, but I cannot imagine going back to work next week (next weds he'll be 8 weeks old). No way in hell woud I leave him right now.. my heart hurts thinking of going back Labor Day week. I wish we could adopt Canada's Mat leave. A full year.. *sigh*

Lilypie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers