Anyone else hitting the terrible two's?!?!?!

iVillage Member
Anyone else hitting the terrible two's?!?!?!
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 4:33pm

Oh, how my SP is testing me these days! I've heard that boys really do hit the terrible 2s around 18mos, so I guess that's what this is. My lil guy is whiny like you wouldn't believe, and throws tantrums quickly. I think a lot of it has to do with his lack of speech, and he's frustrated with the lack of communication. But some of it is just about not getting his way, and it's driving me crazy! Like changing his diaper. He cries and cries and cries, and writhes around....which means it takes me 4x as long to get the stinkin' diaper on him!

Anyone else going through this? Any tips on calming the temper? I need to get some tools in place before our plane trip in July--10 straight hours on the plane, and I don't want temper tantrums to be taking place constantly!

iVillage Member
Krista - hopefully things get better soon. We get a few more crying fits, but nothing major yet. Fits don't last long here and are mostly ignored. Like your little guy, I think it's mostly frustration over communicating.
iVillage Member
Ashley is starting to go through phases where she throws huge tantrums. She also started a lot more laughing when we tell her no, and testing boundaries. I am halfway through The Happiest Toddler on the Block, hoping to find tools to help with the tantrums. I haven't really tried to implement many of the suggestions yet, so I can't say how effective it is...but it has made me feel a lot better about all of her behavior being "normal," and understanding a little more why toddlers behave they do. Fingers crossed that it will help with the tantrums and limit-pushing too. (A few of the ideas in the book seemed to rub some parents the wrong way in the reviews on Amazon, but I had a couple of friends say the techniques worked well for them.)

-Jenn

Mom to Ashley Elizabeth, born 11/3/09

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:07am

OH YES!!!

iVillage Member
Killian is definitely in that stage. He throws a fit over anything he can think of. I was proud that he had never bitten anyone before, but this morning before church he decided to bite his little brother's finger, so I guess I have to watch him with that now, too! I don't know if it's his vocabulary, because he never stops talking, but more of his mother's quick temper that's causing his tantrums! I guess it's hereditary (whoops!)
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers