Breaking the bottle habit and how much milk a day?

iVillage Member
Breaking the bottle habit and how much milk a day?
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 10:08am

Anyone else having trouble breaking the bottle habit?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I'm not sure how much milk Catie gets, It really not that much. I offer her milk at meals but most of the time she only takes a couple of sips. She really prefers water in her sippy cups.

It's been a while since the Original post, so have you made any progress with bottle weaning, or have you decided to just let her self wean from it? I'm doing self weaning with breastfeeding, so not sure why you can't self wean from a bottle.

Catie took the bottle until she was 16 or 17 months, which is the longest that any of my kids took them. I think it was easier to give it up, since she did 1/2 formula 1/2 breastfeeding. We just quit offering the bottle and gave sippies or breastfed instead. Not so easy when you're 100% bottle feeding. Here's how i weaned Madisyn who was 100% bottle fed. (taken from my diary i kept when madisyn was a baby)

5/20/02

Here's how are bottle weaning went: wk 1 1 bottle of water, 1 bottle of milk, 1 bottle of juice The rest of the time she got sippy's.

wk #2 took away 1 juice bottle

wk #3 took away the water bottle

wk #4 tried to take away the night time bottle

wk #5 back to 2 bottle of milk

wk #6 started giving water bottles at night and early morning instead of milk bottles

wk #7 refusing bottles or only taking a few sips! WE ARE WEANED!!!

Obviously the way we did it took a while. I started the process around 12 months and she weaned around 14 months.
Chris mom to Ashleigh, Madisyn, Emely, and Catie
iVillage Member

When I transitioned my SP off of bottles (around 14mos) it was easier than I thought it would be. I thought he was really attached and I didn't want to disrupt the routine. But his attachment was really to the milk, not the bottle so much.

I did go through a number of sippy cups before I found the kind that worked best, but by the time I took him off bottles, he was already comfortable with the sippy cup of water. So once he got milk in the sippy cup, he was really excited! And if compared to a bottle of water? He went for the cup everytime!

We're really just providing maybe 2 cups of milk a day--sometimes with breakfast or lunch, and then still an evening one sometime before bed. I'm actually right now trying to give him that second cup at dinner, and just providing water before bed. But right now it's still kinda part of our bedtime routine.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 10:46am

I don't really know how much milk our SP's should be getting at this age either - sorry, I'm no help there.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 10:27pm
I don't understand why babies are suppose to stop drinking from a bottle at a certain age. No one would ever tell a mother who bf their baby/toddler/ preschooler or beyond to stop. I WISH SP would learn to drink from other sources, but she seems to be challenged in that area.

I think the amount of milk depends on if SP is eating solids or not. My SP eats next to nothing, so she relies pretty much 100% on milk as a source of nutritien.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

What kind of sippy cups have you tried?