Discipline from Others

iVillage Member
Discipline from Others
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 12:08am

Hey all,

I was going to submit a question and see what responses I get, because I was speechless.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 1:08pm

I don't really have good advice, because I can imagine it would be very stressful to upset your mother by demanding that she not discipline your SP. I just wanted to offer support, because I know how upset I would be in your shoes. I allow my parents and in-laws to correct my SP's behavior when they watch her (basically consisting of preventing her from doing something she shouldn't, and then ignoring the tantrum), but I couldn't handle them using any kind of physical punishment or aggressive behavior. I'm sorry your mother isn't aligned with your discipline style. :(

-Jenn

Mom to Ashley Elizabeth, born 11/3/09

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 2:58pm

My father definitely won't do anything, since he backs my mother up regardless of what she does.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 2:36pm
Adrienne,

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I don't have any answers, just some questions I'd consider before making a decision if it were me. Would it help to try to approach this at a time when your mother is sober? If you did say something, and she chooses to not speak to you, how would you feel about that? How does that compare to something similar happening again? Would talking to your dad or another family member help? Sorry I can't be more help. How are things going otherwise? Don't let this tie you into knots - it's not good for you or the baby :)