Not talking yet?

iVillage Member
Not talking yet?
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 7:14pm

I babysit a little girl who was born in August of 2010 and her dad is worried that she isn't really talking yet. She says a few words like "ball" and "car" (although car sounds like door) but definitely no phrases or sentences. I only have boys and they generally start talking later than girls so I don't really have any BTDT advice for her dad. Have any of your 2010 kids start talking yet? If so, when did they start and are they just saying single words or more than that?

Thanks! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 2:51am

My nephew was born in Jan 2010 and he's talking up a storm. BUT now that I think about it, it's just recently been this "explosion" of language. Probably within the last 3 months or so? So I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. At least give it a few more months.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-22-2013 - 12:35am

My neighbor's little girl is around the same age (June 2010, I think) and she talks up a storm. However, most of the time, her mom is the only one that can understand what she is saying. I just smile, nod my head and say things like "really?" and " un-huh" when the little girl is "talking" to me. But I have no idea what she is saying and what I'm agreeing with, LOL.

I know that's not a super-helfpful answer but maybe it's a similar situation where she is saying more words than the adults think. You could always tell the father to ask their pediatrician about it if he's really concerned.