Baby's right or Mother's choice?

iVillage Member
Baby's right or Mother's choice?
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 10:35pm

Breast Milk: A Baby's Right or a Mom's Choice?

Gisele Bundchen's comments about 'breastfeeding should be law' have caused a stir everywhere including

Tessa

Mom to 6 kids and 3 angels!

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 11:31pm

It's a mother's right or choice however, you want to look at it. Mothers should do it for the benefits that it brings both to the mother and to the child. Personally, I

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 11:39pm

I am all for breastfeeding and exclusively breastfed my other 3 children for a year each. However, I had a breast reduction 2 months before I got pregnant believing I wouldn't ever have another child and sure enough, once I gave up on getting pregnant, I did after 10 years of trying. Now my point is after Matthew was born, I tried to breastfeed him without supplementing and he ended up losing 2 lbs. in less than a week after he was born. I obviously wasn't making enough milk due to the reduction so I have supplemented since then. Should I be put in jail for giving my baby formula? I already feel guilty enough that I can't feed my baby because I didn't wait long enough to get my reduction. I think every woman should breastfeed but not every woman can.

Karen

Scrapbooking at WiddlyTinks.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 12:28am

I just can't believe some of the things that come out of people's mouths some times.

Tessa

Mom to 6 kids and 3 angels!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 9:33am
Mothers choice. If you can, and do, great! If you dont great. You are still feeding your baby!

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 10:10pm

I think before you require mom's to bf you are going to have to change the way the US looks at families and taking care of young in general.

Lets look at the facts:

1. Mothers in the US are lucky if they get 6 weeks of leave and those of us who are down right spoiled get 12 or more. Most of the time unpaid. How is that helping to set up a monther for a long term BF'ing relationship with her child?

2. Fathers in this country get little to no maternity leave. Those first few weeks are so important and a new mother needs all the help she can get. Yet her number one partner is probably not going to be there to help her so she can rest.

3. When mothers do return to work they are many times made to feel like they have not pulled their weight since they have been gone. Also they are made to use their breaks to pump or made to make up the time it took them to pump at the end of their day. Explain to me how your suppose to be comfortable in a situation like that? Being able to pump in 15 minutes that you have to make up later? Also many are given the bathroom as their option to pump. How would that make you feel?

4. Society as a whole makes mothers feel like they should be able to do it all. However, when things get tough the first thing people push them to leave is the BF'ing. You don't see companies offering help to these mothers all they care about is their bottom line.

What happens to those of us who for some reason struggle and though we do everything we can couldn' t make it work? Are we going to throw those mom's in jail who have to go back to work at 4 weeks PP and didn't have a good strong nursing relationship so are fourced to pump in jail? I tried everything I could and it just didn't work out. Does that make me such a bad mother that my husband should be left alone to raise our son or my son but into the custody of the state?

Cassie 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 8:45pm

Um, ultimately it's mother's choice (for the most part- unless she's a working mom, then her choice may be made up for her, but that's a whole other rant). I definitely believe, wholeheartedly, in BF'ing benefits- heck both DH and I caught a nasty bug that I am convinced would have gone to Jessy as well if I hadn't been BF'ing.

But making it mandatory? Preposterous.

~~Kim