Breastmilk for Haiti???

iVillage Member
Breastmilk for Haiti???
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 7:41pm

http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,gj66jlds,00.html

Read this snippet about sending breastmilk to Haiti and let us know what you think!

Tessa

Mom to 6 kids and 3 angels!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 9:51am
I donated a great deal of breast milk when I was nursing DD#1. I started pumping on one breast in the mornings when I nursed her on the other (starting at 5 weeks) and I would pump 4 oz every morning. I mainly did it to keep my supply up and in case I needed it I was away from her. It started getting pretty crowded in my small British freezer so I asked a LC what I could do with it. She recommended that I donate it to one of the hospitals in the area that runs a milk bank for 7 different hospitals and their NICU's. This was in England (so slightly more popular there) and I just periodically took it in and they did the rest. The first time I went, I had a cooler full of 4 oz frozen bags of milk - LOL!
After we lost Bregan, I would have pumped and donated for a bit, but there wasn't a local milk bank in the area. I may pump and donated with Thalia, I am just being a little lazy right now - LOL!
I think donated milk is awesome! Its great for little ones that have had surgery and their little systems can't handle anything else. I think it's also great for women that may not be able to produce enough and do not mind offering someone else's BM along with their own.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
http://rememberingbregan.blogspot.com/ Dianne Wife to Super, Awesome, No Limits US Army Officer - Matthew. Mummy to: DS - Dakota John - 18 yo., DD - Aidan Isabella - 4 yo., DS - Angel - Bregan Michael - 3 1/2 days old 11/23-11/27/2008, DD- Thalia Evan 1/24/10, 2 x Miscarriage Survivor 2003 & 2004.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-26-2010 - 5:03am
I think it's awesome and I encourage all moms who have extra milk not to throw it out because there are tons of babies in need!