How long will you breastfeed?

iVillage Member
How long will you breastfeed?
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 8:39am

For those of you breastfeeding, how long are you planning to do so? I put this in the hot topics section because it seems to be a charged issue, particularly if you decide to breastfeed for an extended period of time.

Originally I thought I'd be happy to just make it to 6 months. Now I'm thinking I'd like to breastfeed for Noelle's first year. A friend of mine just told me she plans to breastfeed for the first two years of her baby's life. I've been looking at different arguments online about extended breastfeeding and am just curious about what others are thinking. It seems like there is also the balance of introducing solid foods at some point and also fulfilling the baby's needs for milk. I haven't done much research on this part yet so I'm curious what the BTDT breastfeeding moms think.

I think my husband will be supportive of breastfeeding for up to a year, but I'm not sure after that. And I know it weirds him out a little when a baby is very active and able to dive in for the feeding themselves (as opposed to this point where they are still pretty helpless). My mom supports breastfeeding, but I'm not sure if she'll be very supportive of it past 6 months. I don't think my mother-in-law understands breastfeeding at all and has already made comments with raised eyebrows about how "attached" I've been to the baby. Of course my husband's support is really important and my mother and mother-in-law a little less so, but I know it will be difficult to continue breastfeeding after losing the support of our parents, especially if they make many comments about it.

Anyway, this may have been discussed before on the EC board, but I was just curious about what those of you who are still actively breastfeeding have decided to do (if you've even decided yet!)

Lee

Lee, Mommy to DD Noelle born January 2010. BFP in February 2011, lost pregnancy at 10 weeks in April 2011. BFP in August 2011, hopeful and happy to be expecting our baby due May 9, 2012.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 9:50pm
Until she goes to the prom - I feel that she will be confident enough by then - LOL! J/K! Not sure. If we see that it's affecting our fertility (we want 2 more) then we will likely wean at 1 year. My preference is 2 years though.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
http://rememberingbregan.blogspot.com/ Dianne Wife to Super, Awesome, No Limits US Army Officer - Matthew. Mummy to: DS - Dakota John - 18 yo., DD - Aidan Isabella - 4 yo., DS - Angel - Bregan Michael - 3 1/2 days old 11/23-11/27/2008, DD- Thalia Evan 1/24/10, 2 x Miscarriage Survivor 2003 & 2004.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 11:13pm

I bfed my first son till 23 months. I was pregnant w/ Manny and there wasn't any milk. DS kept asking for water and crackers instead and so I did the don't offer, don't refuse. He asked once but found out there wasn't anything and never asked again. It was a nice transition.

I really hate the phrase extended breastfeeding. It gives the connotation that this it is something not normal and only a few people do. In fact, most of the world goes beyond a year to 2 years or more, it's only the US that's got a problem with breastfeeding. I'll breastfeed as long as Manny wants. I'd like to get to 2 years.

I also never gave Lonny baby food. I did baby-led weaning which is giving them solid foods like cooked carrots, bananas, etc. and letting them pick it up and take it to their mouths when they're ready. I let him decide when he started eating solids there's really no nutritional reason to start them out so young eating baby food. To each his own though, but I liked that method so I'm using it w/ Manny.

My husband would make jokes but is very supportive of breastfeeding. My mother bfed me til I was 3 so she's a pusher for bfing for as long as needed. My IL's are the ones that make me leave the room if I need to bf and if I don't they make rude comments the whole time making me very uncomfortable. I don't really understand that since I'm feeding my child, but that's what they do.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 3:05pm

IDK why people feel the need to make comments about bf'ing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 6:43pm
I agree with some of the previous posters...The U.S is one of the only nations that thinks its "weird" to breastfeed longer than a year, or even longer than 6 months. The WHO recommends breastfeeding until 3 yrs. I was breastfed until I was 4 and I have an awesome immune system and the best/healthiest bond with my mom out of all the kids. I plan to breastfeed this one until he is two (since the immune system isn't fully developed until then) I will go longer if he wants and at the same time, if he wants to wean earlier then thats fine too. My older son weaned himself at 13 months when I was 12 weeks pregnant. He actually cried when I tried to breastfeed him! It made me feel horrible..like a complete failure that I couldn't make enough milk for him.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 5:33pm

After (thank goodness) being able to EBF for the past 2 months I plan on doing it as long as possible. After bottle feeding twins, no one understands how much EASIER it is to BF than it is to give a bottle. OMG!!! It's just unbelievable. I'm hitting myself for not attempting to BF my twins more. My twins who are 3 still take bottles and the idea of going straight from a breast to a cup w/no bottle in the middle is overwhelming. I can't even imagine.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 9:38pm
I bf Lucas util he was 2ish, My supply lasted, and he nursed at night mostly. He NEVER took a bottle or a binkey. We (me and him) weaned him when he was ready to stop. And I figure I will do the same thing with Jake as well.
Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerBaby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 9:58pm

Before Sophia was born, I told myself I wanted to make it to 3 months.

Photo Albums at WiddlyTinks.com
P
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 12:09am

Hi!

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 8:53am

Thanks! I agree, I probably just need to toughen up a little (or a lot!) :-) I guess I'm just dreading a situation where every time I go to breastfeed I'm hearing comments. At this point it's just me speculating and assuming the worst, so we'll just need to cross that bridge when we come to it.

I am slowly realizing that pretty much at least one person (stranger, family member, or friend) will be unhappy with whatever decision we make with this parenting thing and be very glad to share their opinion. As long as my husband and I are happy and feel like we're doing what's best for our daughter, that's all that matters. For me that's easier said than done, but I'm sure as time goes on it will get easier.

Lee

Lee, Mommy to DD Noelle born January 2010. BFP in February 2011, lost pregnancy at 10 weeks in April 2011. BFP in August 2011, hopeful and happy to be expecting our baby due May 9, 2012.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 9:16am

Yeah, I do the same thing---too much "projection" so that I can brace myself for how other people will act or say.