How long will you breastfeed?

iVillage Member
How long will you breastfeed?
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 8:39am

For those of you breastfeeding, how long are you planning to do so? I put this in the hot topics section because it seems to be a charged issue, particularly if you decide to breastfeed for an extended period of time.

Originally I thought I'd be happy to just make it to 6 months. Now I'm thinking I'd like to breastfeed for Noelle's first year. A friend of mine just told me she plans to breastfeed for the first two years of her baby's life. I've been looking at different arguments online about extended breastfeeding and am just curious about what others are thinking. It seems like there is also the balance of introducing solid foods at some point and also fulfilling the baby's needs for milk. I haven't done much research on this part yet so I'm curious what the BTDT breastfeeding moms think.

I think my husband will be supportive of breastfeeding for up to a year, but I'm not sure after that. And I know it weirds him out a little when a baby is very active and able to dive in for the feeding themselves (as opposed to this point where they are still pretty helpless). My mom supports breastfeeding, but I'm not sure if she'll be very supportive of it past 6 months. I don't think my mother-in-law understands breastfeeding at all and has already made comments with raised eyebrows about how "attached" I've been to the baby. Of course my husband's support is really important and my mother and mother-in-law a little less so, but I know it will be difficult to continue breastfeeding after losing the support of our parents, especially if they make many comments about it.

Anyway, this may have been discussed before on the EC board, but I was just curious about what those of you who are still actively breastfeeding have decided to do (if you've even decided yet!)

Lee

Lee, Mommy to DD Noelle born January 2010. BFP in February 2011, lost pregnancy at 10 weeks in April 2011. BFP in August 2011, hopeful and happy to be expecting our baby due May 9, 2012.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 12:21pm
That's a LOT of milk every day!

Tessa

Mom to 6 kids and 3 angels!

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-15-2010 - 8:58am

I'm just pumping, have been for 13 weeks now. I make 50-54 ounces a day and they are only eating 24 ounces each.

The reason why I decided to ep is i needed to know how much they were getting and I wanted to know how much I was making. I didnt have any problems with them latching at all. For the 1st 3 weeks the nursed only. Now I kinda wished they only nursed, but I know EP'ing is the best for me.

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 10:57pm
I will breastfeed Sammie until she is at least a year and I will continue to pump for her for when I'm at work as long as I can.

Tessa

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 10:26pm
i hate it to but its the best thing i can do for them. i didnt get to breastfeed my 1st set and I didnt know about eping then. i want the best for my kids and thats why i want to give them breastmilk.
Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 10:12pm
My hat is off to you!

Tessa

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 7:58pm

I plan to breastfeed the twins until they

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 2:11pm
I hope to breast feed as long as possible. since I am a stay at home mom this plans works out but if things change they change. I am proud of the fact that I have stuck with it this far. I had cracked and bleeding nipples for the first weeks then had engorgement issues. It took over 6 weeks for my nipples to not be painful every time I fed. I am proud of sticking with it with so many issues when all of my other IRL friends quit and went to formula (all three of them said it was production issues, but now they say this wish they stuck with it and used that as an excuse so that people do not judge them, which i never did since I feel to each their own).
So now that I am getting pretty good at this BF business I hope to stick with it for a while!
siggy

Thank you cl-annelee55 for my wonderful siggy

Photobucket

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Photobucket
siggy spring Thank you beccamarie82 for the awes
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 1:37pm
I really want to make it to a year but we will see. I feel proud that I have made it this far...I was not able to nurse my 1st two at all!
Scrapbooking at WiddlyTinks.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 5:53pm
My first goal is to make it to a year, after that I'll let him self wean. With my first we went on a month long vacation and sometimes it was way more convenient to BF but at times a bottle was easier, so I started supplementing with formula and it didn't take long till he preferred the bottle to me. With DS#2 I started working at 4 months and was only able to pump one bottle so again I had to start formula and he weaned himself at 8 months. I foresee NO reason to give Clayton a bottle so I am hoping to make it at least a year!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 12:18pm

DS (who is 10) breastfed for 17months.

My January baby came 5weeks early!

Pages