I was Un-Membered...

iVillage Member
I was Un-Membered...
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 9:05pm

From my CHURCH!

I got Abigail's baptism paperwork in the mail yesterday and it had to be returned by Friday and there was a note saying that they couldn't find where we were parish members.

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 10:36pm

Oh, Nicole!

sigfeb10

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 11:38pm

OMG I'd be upset too! I got a letter from my old church once that told me I could join another church if I wanted since I didn't seem to be going to that one anymore. I was in college at the time hundreds of miles away. Needless to say I did NOT feel welcomed back.

I don't think it matters how many times you go or if you give any money, you were members there and I don't think a church should drop you just because of that. What they should've done is try to go to your house, etc. and talk to you. Now, you weren't there b/c you moved but I'd still keep you on the church's list but the pastor should mark that you're not attending and that they don't have a current address. What they ACTUALLY did was make people feel abandoned by dropping you and that's the opposite of what church should make you feel. I'm so glad that my husband's a pastor and I know that he'd never drop a member unless they asked to be taken off the list, in fact, I think even then he wouldn't do it but would try to call them to see how they're doing. Now changing memberships a different story.

I'd talk to that church and let them know how they made you feel. Their idea might be nice to keep tabs on the people that go often to church, but what they're doing is actually pushing people away.

Can you baptize Abigail anyway or do you have to talk to the church? Hopefully that all works out though!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 5:27am
I agree with the PP, what an awful surprise! I don't think you should have to go to church every sunday or donate money in order to be welcomed there. Isn't a church supposed to be a refuge? You don't need a refuge every Sunday so why should some missed days (or weeks or months lol) prevent them from welcoming you. I know so many people who refuse to go to church because they can be so clique-y and unwelcoming and they are so afraid of rejection they won't go into a church and simply read the bible at home. It's REALLY sad but tells you a lot about the human race now doesn't it?