Not Breastfeeding? Why Not?

iVillage Member
Not Breastfeeding? Why Not?
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 1:23pm

I'm not judging because I am not BF my son. I just wanted to hear from other mom's as to why not. Was this a hard desicion for you? Do you still second guess yourself or beat yourself up over it? Need to let it out?

I personally attempted to breastfeed but my milk supply never increased enough to feed Simon completly. He lost a lot of weight by day 3 because I had nothing for almost a week.

Cassie 

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 1:41pm

I understand how you feel! I had a breast reduction exactly one year ago. Our youngest was almost 11 at the time and we never dreamed we would be able to get pregnant again. Then, surprise, 2 months later I was pregnant. I had breastfed all 3 of my other children and loved it. I am able to breastfeed my little one but he only gets probably anywhere from an half an ounce to maybe 2 ounces. I tried so hard to only breastfeed him without supplementing but he lost 2 lbs. within his first week so I finally broke down and began to supplement. I have to be honest, I hate the fact that I am unable to breastfeed my little guy because of a decision I made but there is nothing I can do about it. Right now he is really sick and all he wants to do is nurse and wants nothing to do with a bottle but I know he needs that bottle or he will get dehydrated. It sucks. As moms though, we have to do what's best for our babies and if that means they get both breast and bottle or only bottle as long as they are being fed and not starving, that is all that matters.

You should not feel guilty. You didn't do anything wrong and you tried. Some things are just not meant to be and the important thing is your little one is thriving.

Karen

Birth AnnouncementsPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Scrapbooking at WiddlyTinks.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 2:52pm

This is my third, and my third attempt. I just don't have the mammary tissue to produce enough milk to supply my babies. This time I tried, I mean I really, really tried. At one point I was taking close to 30 supplements a day to try to boost my supply. I would nurse and then pump and then supplement. I am still pumping but do plan to stop doing that soon.

My other two have done just fine and he is a very happy baby. I do wish that I would have gotten to actually be successful at this once, but this time the let down isn't nearly as bad as with my first then I felt like a complete failure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 3:16pm
I was devastated when I did not produce enough. Several things lead up to it, and some that as a 1st time mom I didn't notice to stop. First one was my supply coming in late. Jensen lost 9.5% of his body weight before my supply came in. Then we learned he was tongue tied and my nipples were unusually small, which lead to breast feeding being extremely painful. Next was the fact that Jensen slept 9 hour straight and after the first incident of waking him up to eat and him choking I refused to wake him again. I assumed my body would make my supply around his needs, not realizing that soon in the game with no stimulation my supply was dropping. Next were my gall bladder attacks. I would wait them out as long as I could at home to avoid getting drugs where I couldn't feed him. I didn't know they could have used the same drugs they use during c-sections and no one ever told me. I only found out because I had a friend have her gall bladder removed 3 weeks before me and they used those drugs with her so she could breast feed her son, however she was sent to a different hospital because her family is military. I tried in vain to wean him off formula since we had had to give him a bottle so often because of the attacks. The day before I was admitted for my surgery I said no more bottle and tried only breast feeding all day. He stopped pooping, and his normal was 3-4 times a day. After 3 bottles he finally pooped, which showed me if it took 3 bottles just to get one bowel movement he hadn't been getting a whole lot all day. Then I had another gall bladder attack and the surgeon on call said enough was enough since this time I had an attack when I hadn't even eaten in 6 hours and my blood work came back I was in the pre-pancreatitis stage. I was told I couldn't breast feed for 24 hours after that night. Those 2 days in the hospital my boobs did not become uncomfortable once. I wore no bra but I didn't so much as leak. We knew then we just had to throw in the towel. It was more important to feed my son then to try and breast feed for the sake of my pride. For the record, I HATE formula. It's awful. And Jensen has never smelled worse.