How do you handle meals?

iVillage Member
How do you handle meals?
Mon, 05-09-2011 - 10:10am

What kinds of foods are you feeding your WW? Is your WW picky, or will he/she eat everything? If they don't want something they are being offered, how do you handle it? Do you give them something else, or consider mealtime over? Do you have any particular recipes/ideas that have been a hit?

Mealtimes have been stressful for me a little lately, since Noelle can be picky. Well, she does eat a variety of foods, but it seems like when things are mixed together she will sometimes refuse it. For example, she loves cheese and she loves bread, but getting her to eat grilled cheese can be difficult. I feel like it's because she's gotten separate foods for so long that it's taking some adjustment to get used to things mixed together. Also, it drives me crazy that she doesn't like pasta or eggs. She can use a spoon and fork a little bit, but I feel like that makes it tough for eating some things like casseroles.

Anyway, I was just curious what others were doing with their WWs!

Lee

Lee, Mommy to DD Noelle born January 2010. BFP in February 2011, lost pregnancy at 10 weeks in April 2011. BFP in August 2011, hopeful and happy to be expecting our baby due May 9, 2012.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-09-2011 - 10:07pm
bunintheovennc wrote:

What kinds of foods are you feeding your WW? Is your WW picky, or will he/she eat everything? If they don't want something they are being offered, how do you handle it? Do you give them something else, or consider mealtime over? Do you have any particular recipes/ideas that have been a hit? Sammie thankfully will eat just about anything that doesn't eat her first.

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 7:51am

I've been making scrambled eggs.

Lee, Mommy to DD Noelle born January 2010. BFP in February 2011, lost pregnancy at 10 weeks in April 2011. BFP in August 2011, hopeful and happy to be expecting our baby due May 9, 2012.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 12:28pm
If she likes cheese, try adding cheese to the scrambled eggs. Or maybe try an omelet. The babysitter loves Sammie to pieces all because she will eat and eat and eat! It's like that girl has a hollow leg or two! Sometimes it can take up to a dozen trials of something for a child to know if they like it or not. I say play around with seasoning and food combinations until you get it to where she will eat it.

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 10:01pm
We have a few things at most meals (ie meat and veggie) as long as he eats one of those we count it a success. If he only eats part of the meal we will offer more of what he is eating. Then we make an effort to offer more of whatever he didn't eat at a later meal (like a protein, not necessarily the same item since once he refuses it in a day he doesn't usually change his mind until the next day).
Logan is of the mindset that if it doesn't move too fast he will eat it . But he has picky times. If he doesn't want what is offered, guess mealtime is over. He then is offered something different at the next meal though it may cover the same categories. we may move up the next meal or snack time if he didn't really eat anything.
My biggest problem right now is that he doesn't always get as much milk as he should (or other dairy) since we have cut out his daytime bottle in an effort to gradually eliminate the bottle per our ped's recommendation. He still gets a nighttime bottle before toothbrushing at bedtime, and he nurses early in the morning. So maybe I am just being neurotic about how much he needs. Though he does not always eat the full bottle at night and I can't know how much he is actually eating at the nursing .... so .....
Eggs are hit or miss for Logan though he will usually eat scrambled when we are out and if I put seasoning in them at home. He does not like them plain or hard boiled unless in egg salad.
We have been mixing things for a long time so that has not been a problem. (Though this morning he was picking the carrots and peas out of the eggs, cheese, and veggie scrambler he was being offered.)
Pasta is his favorite. I have yet to find a form he doesn't like.
DH and I have weird schedules, so often DS's meal is different than ours though I try to eat some of what he is having with him so that we have "family mealtime". However, anytime we eat together he gets some of whatever we are having (even if that is chili) even if he is given something different as his main meal because we are not sure how he (or his body) will respond to a whole meal of it. We have been doing that since 1 year old when we pretty much had the go ahead on offering anything. Our nephew is ridiculously picky and we watch BIL and SIL struggle with that so have made an effort to do anything we can to avoid picky (though I know some kids will be no matter what you do).
Occasionally I have had the experience of if I can get something he is refusing into his mouth he changes his tune.
I don't know if any of this is helpful but I hope so. Good luck! :)
Siggie
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-19-2011 - 12:37pm
Thanks, Kristy! I think it just helps me to hear how other people are doing things to see if there is anything I can change.

In the meantime, Noelle has started eating eggs. Maybe it helped that it was at playgroup and someone else cooked them! Since she has eaten scrambled eggs a couple times, which made me happy. :-)

Lee

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-22-2011 - 10:19pm

Yay for eggs.

Siggie
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-24-2011 - 3:35pm
Hmm...could you try limiting his water intake and offer him milk more often? Does the temperature of the milk matter? Have you tried some different types of cups? We found that when Noelle was transitioning to cow's milk, the specific sippy she used mattered and it also had to be a touch warm. She had a couple sippy cups she used for water, and a different one that she used for milk. When the milk was in the water sippy she wouldn't drink it. Though now a few months later that doesn't matter to her so much.

Good luck! Not sure any of what I said will actually help. And no apology necessary, I think it definitely fits the topic!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-24-2011 - 11:38pm
I pretty much always offer mild before water but don't want to let him get dehydrated if he won't drink it. Though I am not worried about him starving himself, I know I can get away for longer than I should without drinking something.
I have also stuck with specific cups for specific drink items and i think that does make a difference. A few months ago when we were first starting I would warm the milk a little but at the time it didn't seem to make much difference. I don't think his DCP is warming his milk to give it to him but it may be worth revisiting that at home. Though it is comforting that he gets a good amount the 3 days a week his DCP has him, it is also frustrating that we can't manage it.
I was trying to stay away from juice since he eats pleanty of fruits and veggies and drinks water so readily and originally milk wasn't really a problem even when we transitioned him to cows milk (it has really only been a problem in the last month). However, today I gave him a "snack" of fortified orange juice (still trying to stay away from it being an option of a drink at mealtime) and it was a hit. I was just trying to avoid it. *Sigh*
Siggie
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 11:54pm

What kinds of foods are you feeding your WW? Is your WW picky, or will he/she eat everything? If they don't want something they are being offered, how do you handle it? Do you give them something else, or consider mealtime over? Do you have any particular recipes/ideas that have been a hit?

photo augustafeb21.gif