PPD?

iVillage Member
PPD?
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 12:11am

I'm reluctant to put this out there just b/c I haven't seen anything on here and I kind of feel like everyone's doing fine and I'm the oddball. I went for my 6 week check-up today and they had me fill out a questionnaire in the waiting room. I was holding back tears while filling it out. I know I probably have PPD just from the crying all the time, anxiety about being left alone to care for 2 kids, sadness that I can't do menial tasks right, sadness I"m not being a good mother and wife, and I have more stress in my life that is overwhelming me right now. But I was starting to try things like work out, tan for vit. d, changing diet, getting out more, etc.

When they say me they immediately gave me an anti-depressant prescrip and a date w/ a counselor. I just don't know if I want to start taking pills that I don't know if I can get off of and I'm worried about how much can go to DS. Has anyone else been through this kind of thing or going through it now? How do the pills feel or did you try to kick it naturally? I'm really wary of it, but I also know that things are starting to get out of hand and I need to get a handle on this. I don't I started crying when the midwife asked how I was coping and now I'm in a daze over this. DH doesn't want me to take them b/c he's seen his mother, bro, and sis on them and how they haven't been able to get off and yet they're still unhappy even w/ the meds.

I don't know, I also had high blood pressure when I've never had it before so they want to see me in 2 weeks about that and how I'm doing on the pills. I just don't know what to do.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: luckymommylonny
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 2:12am
I just wrote a very long reply and somehow left the page ugh! What I said to sum it up is... I use to have depression issues, I have not experienced PPD but I have had my experiences with anti depresesnt when I had needed them. Some people with severe depression need the medication forever, but I didnt and im figuring you wont either. You have a lot of change going on and its overwhelming, you have a dark cloud over you and might benefit from taking an anti depresent while you work through this time. Its ok to take it if you need it and from the way it sounds the dr. might be right with his recommendation. If it benefits you and your family and you are going to a counselor as well it may be worth a shot. It takes a little bit of time for its full effectiveness but it really does help. Its a tough decision. Im sending my thoughts and prayers to you on this situation. Just know this will pass and you will be ok and that its ok to get whatever help you need to help it pass. Hang in there! I might be a stranger but I do understand depression and the overwhelming feelings that this change has brought, if you ever need to chat feel free to hit me up :) sometimes it helps to just let it all out to someone that understands! *hugs*

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 3:20am
I thought I had PPD. The first 2 1/2 weeks were so hard and I was literally at the point where I would just sit there and cry and I wasn't even able to hold Jensen. I would just listen to him cry and cry too. But things got better thank God. I am really sorry to hear you are going through this and just know no one here is ever going to look down on you. It's not a failure on your part or some choice you made to feel the way you do. PPD is a hormone imbalance and completely out of your control. I strongly encourage to talk to someone, even if it's just your Dr and do what you need to to get better. There is no shame in getting help and I guarantee you your children would much rather have a happy mom then a sad one. Helping you is going to help them. Take care of yourself and you can email me whenever you need. I went to therapy for 5 years and one intensive out patient therapy program before I was able to beat my normal depression, I can't imagine trying to beat it with a new born and another child. You are a wonderful mom and you are strong and you can do this!

Powered by CGISpy.com

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 12:50pm

BIG BIG ((((HUGS)))) to you!!!

I have never been treated for PPD but I'm pretty sure I had it after my first was born..I had all the symptoms you described and it was horrible. I kept it to myself-it wasn't talked about much back then and was never asked how I felt. It eventually went away on its own...but it was not fun.

As for antidepressants, I have taken them (tried many different kinds) in the past after the death of a family member. Personally, I could not take them and will never again-BUT, they work for many people and it is a very personal decision. Here is a link from Dr. Hale's medication forum on antidepressants and breastfeeding.

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/messages/43/43.html?1267042110

Hope you feel better soon sweetheart! You are doing a fantastic job-try not to be so hard on yourself. (((HUGS)))

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 3:51pm

Hang in there! I had really PPD and anxiety with the first one and medicine really helped me out. I BFed through the whole thing and DS is a perfect, healthy 4 year old. PLEASE don't let DH make your medical decisions for you. Would you not take another kind of medicine you needed because he didn't want you to for some strange reason?

Taking care of 2 little ones is very hard and demanding. Please be patient with yourself and your kids and get the help and support you need. Does DH take a shift during the night? Consolidated sleep is key to a healthy brain.

Best,

Jenny

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 5:52pm

((HUGS))

Don't be ashamed about feeling like this or needing help. I had PPD with my first so this time around my doctor and I decided to put me on anti-depressants while I was still in the hospital. It has made things much easier for me this time around.

As for your BP it could be because of how you are feeling so it is adversely affecting your health (stress will do that)or there is a little known fact that pre-eclampsia can actually occur 6 weeks PPD. I am on blood pressure medication because I developed severe pre-eclampsia and the doctors said it could take awhile for my body to recover. Just make sure you and your doctor are watching it.

Adena

Adena Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 10:16am
(((HUGS))) Sweetie, I am sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed right now. After we lost Bregan, I tried taking some Zoloft, but it made me sooo stinking tired. I found that exercise really, really, really helped. I would also look and see if there is a board here on IV for women with PPD. Just don't isolate yourself tooo much - get out with both of them in tow to the park or a MOMS Club. Hang there and hopefully we can get together sooner.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
http://rememberingbregan.blogspot.com/ Dianne Wife to Super, Awesome, No Limits US Army Officer - Matthew. Mummy to: DS - Dakota John - 18 yo., DD - Aidan Isabella - 4 yo., DS - Angel - Bregan Michael - 3 1/2 days old 11/23-11/27/2008, DD- Thalia Evan 1/24/10, 2 x Miscarriage Survivor 2003 & 2004.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 11:14am

I could have written this exactly, it sounds so much like me: "...crying all the time, anxiety about being left alone to care for 2 kids, sadness that I can't do menial tasks right, sadness I"m not being a good mother and wife, and I have more stress in my life that is overwhelming me right now."

You are not an 'oddball'.

Katy

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 8:30pm

I feel very similar but the only one I can ever say anything to is DH. He is great but I don't know if he gets it. I have never been one to share my feelings with other people and so when people ask how things are, all I can say is fine (including my ob at my check-up; there was no questionnaire). I know the good things about my baby and my situation so I say those and flippantly mention things like little sleep and getting used to having a baby. I have no idea if the things I am feeling are actually PPD or just normal "getting used to having a baby".

The one thing I would add to the feelings you expressed (all of which I feel) is that I have zero tolerance for the crying. If I don't immediately know what is wrong and/or can't fix it so the crying stops I just get sooooo frustrated and upset. I read about people with colicky babies and can't imagine what I would do if I had one. I count my blessings that I don't. DH helps a lot when he is home but he works long hours.

I read everywhere that when people offer to make a meal or help with the laundry take them up on it. But when people visit all they want to do is sit on the couch and talk. When my MIL came over I couldn't even get out for my usual daily walk because when I suggested it she and DH just said they weren't in the mood. It seems better when it is just me (and sometimes worse at the same time).

I understand how you feel and am glad that you posted. HUGS!!!!

Siggie
Siggie
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 2:23am
I TOTALLY get the crying thing! Crying is the #1 button pusher for both me and Rob. It's instant anxiety and stress because or hormones are screaming SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE BABY, FIX IT!! And the panic sets in and you can't think. Did you know that when you feel fear or anger the thinking part of your brain actually shots off? It is literally impossible to think clearly when you're mad. I am getting better at letting it affect me less (I can sit there and let him cry and be calm knowing he will stop when he calms down) but it's still so hard for Rob. I also spend 90% of my time with Jensen while Rob goes out to the gym or job hunting or is just not holding Jensen or caring for him so it's harder for him to figure out what is wrong right away, when by now (and I have no idea HOW) I know what's wrong pretty instantly. I don't fault anyone for not knowing what to do while their child cries though because I definitely have my times where I literally sit there and vocally tell Jensen I have no idea what he wants from me (which usually ends in us taking a bath because it works every time *knock on wood*). So yeah, you guys are not alone in that.