Smoking

iVillage Member
Smoking
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 4:00pm
I know that we talked about this in our EC, but I wanted to bring it up again because I have been getting the very strong urge to smoke again! I was a smoker before I had my first daughter and picked it back up when she was about a month old. Now that Maloree is 9 weeks old I am feeling it pretty strong. I quit when I was pregnant with both kids. I dont like the fact of it smelling, I dont want the smell to be so strong on me while Im feeding my baby, I dont want it to be in my milk (even though I know its STILL better than formula), I dont want it to affect my supply, I dont want to have yellow teeth, I want to be healthy! I have not picked it back up again but I keep telling myself that one little puff here and there wont hurt. But I know deep down that it will. When I started back up after Morgan's birth I only had like one cigarette a day after she went to sleep then ran to take a shower in case she woke up to eat for months, then I worked my way up to a pack a week. Yeah, I know its not a "bad" habit to smoke a pack a week, but its still a bad habit that I dont want. I never smoked in front of my DD, or my
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: daswan55
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 6:58pm

Edited 3/17/2010 7:57 pm ET by amsrjw0810

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 7:15pm

"First of all, a mom who can't stop smoking should breastfeed. Breastfeeding provides many immunities that help your baby fight illness and can even help counteract some of the effects of cigarette smoke on your baby: for example, breastfeeding has been shown to decrease the negative effects of cigarette smoke on a baby's lungs. It's definitely better if breastfeeding moms not smoke, but if you can't stop or cut down, then it is better to smoke and breastfeed than to smoke and formula feed." http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 7:32pm
I think she means the effects of smoking on breastmilk vs formula.

Tessa

Mom to 6 kids and 3 angels!

Photobucket
Why?
Photobucket

Photobucket

SnapdragonSnapdragon Mommies

October LTP

Tessa

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 7:46pm

Guess I was a little late getting my message posted to Amy.

Lacey..... smoking is a hard demon to battle.

Tessa

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 7:56pm
I didn't mean to upset you and I apologize. I took it the wrong way and thought you were saying a baby breathing smoke was better then them having formula. I also used to smoke and quit. I was never addicted and had no trouble quitting, but once I got pregnant (2 years after quitting) I craved it all the time. Like Tessa said, think of all the reasons you DON'T want to smoke. Also the method of distraction can be a great tool even for adults. Maybe pop in a movie, or read a book. Play a game with the kids if you can't get away. Once again, I am sorry for misunderstanding.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket