BF vs solids?

iVillage Member
BF vs solids?
Wed, 01-19-2011 - 12:01pm

OK, so lately Caitlyn is pretty much refusing to nurse during the day, and I'm not sure what to do about it. She will latch for all of 30 seconds, and then turns away. But if I offer her solids, she will gobble it all up. I even tried a bottle to see if it was a flow issue- nope, she just wants the solids. She's 8mos, but isn't she still supposed to be getting the bulk of her nutrition from breastmilk? I can feel my supply has majorly dropped because of this, and that brings on another question.

Everytime I try to nurse more frequently, I get an itchy red rash around my nipples. It isn't there all the time, only when I increase frequency. What's that all about?? I put lotrimin on, in case it's yeast, but that doesn't seem to help. The only thing that has seemed to calm it is benadryl cream, and vitamin E oil (which I of course wash off before nursing!). It goes away in a couple days, but it's really a PITA, and just don't know what's going on with that. The strange thing is, that I don't have it all the time, so that's why I'm not sure. If it were an around-the-clock thing, I'd think it's probably thrush, but it really is only when I try to nurse more often, and it makes me not want to try!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-22-2011 - 2:02pm

Ean has also stopped nursing as much during the day, but on the flipside of your problem he rarely deigns to eat solids. He is very picky (hard when my last ate anything I gave him). This whole switching to solids thing sucks. I'd forgotten the transition phases could be so aggravating.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-19-2011 - 4:57pm
Ty is taking less of his bottle. I'm not sure what that's all about. I figured if he's getting enough food he probably doesn't want as much milk. I wouldn't be able to drink as much or more milk as the amount of food I eat in each meal. I read in a Parenting magazine article that we can start introducing a 2 handled sippy for them to start practicing. Where is the time going?

Jeni
Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-19-2011 - 12:13pm

We're definitely at a distractable age!