From bottle to cup

iVillage Member
From bottle to cup
Mon, 04-25-2011 - 2:42pm

I can't remember if I have asked you ladies this before or not. How do you make the transition from bottle to cup. I have a cupboard full of sippy cups and one very stubborn baby boy who wants nothing to do with them. He will sometimes humor me and take a few sips out of the cup like he did last night at supper. But more often then not he will just chuck the stupid thing on the floor. If I try to give it to him during the day he will just scream until I get him a bottle. He is so picky that if DH puts even a little bit of warm water in the bottle he won't drink it and will throw a tantrum until one of us makes a whole new bottle with cold water. The boy wants cold milk! You would think DH would stop making them with warm water then ... but anyway I want to wean Wyatt off the bottle. My goal is to have him switched over by the time he is a year old. When Bryan was a baby I washed and packed up all of his bottles on his first birthday and put them away. We never went back to a bottle. BUT Bryan already liked sippy cups so it was an easy transition from bottle to cup. I am debating doing the same thing with Wyatt and just dealing with the screaming for a few days. If I can keep DH from sneaking him a bottle. So any tips? Any ideas? What have you done? What will you do?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-25-2011 - 5:17pm
I started with a sippy (no spill) at around 6 months with just his water/juice I kept the formula in a bottle until around 8 months when I changed that over to.He did a lot of chewing on the sippy initially and didnt really like it but after a couple of weeks persistence he got it and understood that his drinks were not coming any other way. Some babies are more stubborn I think it was Dominic who put up the biggest fight and still used bottled up till he was 1 but then it was a very easy transition he was old enough for me to just take away the bottle and not feel bad lol..( mummy of the year right haha) anyway he got over it quickly and he was fine!
As for throwing it on the floor yep all mine did that I just took it away after throw 3 and gave it back 5-10 minutes later so it didnt become a game to them. Good luck :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-25-2011 - 8:36pm

I'm really lucky because Ty switched to the sippy around 6 months.

Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-25-2011 - 8:55pm

I use one of the no spill straw cups for Makenna. She got the hang of it the 1st time I handed it to her. I've been giving it to her at lunch everyday.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-27-2011 - 10:42am

duced