Developmental Milestones.

iVillage Member
Developmental Milestones.
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 11:10pm

Do you think they should be considered a guide only or do you worry if your LO doesnt do everything when the books say they should??

I ask because as the mother of 1 conceivably 2 special needs children I am beginning to pay far too much attention to what Raphael is or isnt doing.
I swear I am not only driving myself crazy it's quite possible my 6 week old thinks his mother is insane haha.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 11:59pm
i think once you have a child or know a child who is special needs, or is delayed you start to pay much more attention. When i had bianca i could not have cared less when her first smile was or if she was looking me in the eye or not but now that she's delayed in her walking i find myself worrying about these things with dominic.
Photobucket

little broep jitterbugboy jitterbugwear jitterbug
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 12:12am
yeah I think that too.
Raf doesnt smile so much..he giggles in his sleep though lol.I am trying to relax a little but find it difficult I know each child develops at their own pace.
Does Dom smile much?
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 12:44am
I try to look at them as a "guideline," but as a special education teacher, I too get a little neurotic about everything. DS2 did things at a much slower pace than DS1 and its super-hard not to compare them as well. My mom is always telling me that I know too much which adds to my stress-levels about the milestones, etc.

seuss siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 12:49am
thats probably my problem too..sometimes too much information is a bad thing !
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 6:12am
i get one every so often but not regularly. he is starting to coo a little tho... but im not sure when these things are suppose to happen
Photobucket

little broep jitterbugboy jitterbugwear jitterbug
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 9:53am
I found myself nodding along with your post. I'm not a Special Ed. teacher, but as the music teacher, I taught all the special needs kids at my school, and I have to know every single IEP, and all about each disorder. So I find myself stressing a little too much as well, and I think it's because I have all that information running through my mind. Oddly enough, most of my "fears" relate to autism. I don't know why, but for some reason I have been convinced that one of my children will be autistic, ever since I went to an autism session at a music ed conference, and they said that many autistic children have two musical parents. DH and I are both musicians, and I never forgot that comment. Of course that totally does not mean that because we are both musical we will have autistic children, but I still find myself keeping a close eye on it. Silly, I know.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
Nursing Bras at NurturedFamily.comMaya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured FamilyPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 10:01am
It's not silly at all. I think autism spectrum disorder is a huge fear for many parents. It has become increasingly prevalent and you hear much more about it these days. The other thing is that many of us have "autistic tendencies," so we get paranoid about them. For instance, many kids have a favorite song that they want repeated on their cd, but kids with autism are considered to be perseverating. Many kids line up their trucks and toys, but kids with autism do it obsessively. Many of us don't like certain sensory-related things, like nails on a chalkboard, but we worry that those sensory issues are autism in our kids. Many people on the spectrum don't transition well...guess what, neither do my 2 and 3 year old. Oh, and kids on the spectrum really do better with a daily schedule...so do I :) Its one of those disabilities that you fear will pop up when the kids are 2, so you are always watching and can find any number of traits or tendencies that can also be found in kids with autism.

seuss siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 6:02pm
Well put Christie..
Thanks for putting it in perspective : )
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 6:24pm
I try to look at it more as guidelines. Kaelyn never gave us a smile to much later and her first laugh wasnt until almost 5 months and she is one of the smartest 2 year olds I know but I might be a little partial.
Photobucket
Photobucket