Finger Foods

iVillage Member
Finger Foods
Thu, 12-30-2010 - 2:51pm

Are you feeding your JB finger foods? I asked the nurse about it at Wyatt's 6 month check up. She said he couldn't have things like crackers and other finger foods until he was 9 months old. That seemed oddly old to me. Then I was reading in one of my books about how at this age he should be able to feed himself a cracker. Well I haven't even tried to yet. I am trying to keep things out of his mouth so often I haven't even tried to give him anything he could feed himself. I am sure he would happily if I gave him something to munch on. So do any of you give your baby foods that they can feed themselves?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-31-2010 - 12:48am

I haven't given Evan any finger foods yet - tho he's tried to feed himself popcorn at the movies. I have barely introduced solid foods to him at this point.

I think if you feel comfortable feeding him something, then

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-31-2010 - 9:36am

My JB was totally ok with Baby Mum Mum.....its like a surf board shaped rice wafer....melts like a "puff" but it s whole wafer....she was insane over them! BUT it had to be done with supervision because she eventually learned she could gum through it and take pieces off that were wayyyyy too big:)

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-31-2010 - 11:32am
Not yet. She is particular about texture and so far only likes pureed foods. She's had sweet potatoes, squash, peas, pumpkin, spinach, potatoes, avacado, bananas, pears, beef, corn, barley, rice, chicken, and of course oatmeal. I'm thinking of starting the mum mums around 8 months.
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-31-2010 - 4:48pm
We have also done baby mum mums as well as cheerios.

Powered by
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-01-2011 - 5:23am

The girls have had puffs, cheerios and I've tried noodles too. My other kids were all eating more finger foods by now. I've just been slack with the girls.

By 9 months old 2 of my other kids were on all regular foods because of their reflux. If they had anything like baby food they threw it up. And they didn't have teeth either. Its amazing what a baby can gum. lol

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-03-2011 - 3:56pm
This is great point. And I was interested to discover that the egg yolk is a STAPLE in the infant diet historically. Especially since they are now telling us that DHA is essential for baby's brain...and lo and behold there is lots of it in the egg yolk. Lots of other good nutrients too:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html
I'm a big fan of getting my nutrients through food instead of supplements (when you can). My DS1 hates eggs so I'm giving egg yolk in the hope that JB develops a taste for them. Cheaper than the DHA enriched infant formula - it's like $5-6 more a can here.

Dee
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-03-2011 - 6:24pm
My jb loves the mum mums and has just showed some interest in the puffs
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-03-2011 - 10:49pm
I had never really thought about giving egg yolk to Katelyn. Chris was much older when he got eggs. That would be a good food for them. Not sure why I didn't think of it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-04-2011 - 10:42am

I started a few weeks ago with the baby wafers (baby mum mum's) the ones that dissolve real easily and he loved them.

Oct Siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-11-2011 - 9:30pm
Alex has eaten Ritz crackers, Baby MumMums, and puff. He loves them and does just fine with them!

Pages