formula feeding help!

iVillage Member
formula feeding help!
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 12:37am

My JB has decided to wean herself the past few days. She won't nurse at all or even latch. I was sick Friday with the flu, so i think it just set it off.

Anyways, now I'm bottle feeding, and everything i've read says that an 8 month old gets between 21 and 30 ounces for a day.... Genna has not been drinking anywhere near that! Today she had 5 feedings- none more than 4 ounces! Her total today was 14.5!! Now that I know exactly how much she's getting (or NOT getting), now I feel like I have a whole new worry! And what's weird is when I was nursing her and have DH give her a bottle of formula for the night, she would sometimes drink 6-8 ounces. Her appetite for solids has been down, too.

She's generally happy, gaining fine (as far as I know), and seems to wet her diapers okay.

Anyone have a JB who's inconsistent with bottle feeding?? I'm wondering if I should call the ped.

Thanks, ladies!

Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 8:36am

Grant goes up and down in his demand for food and formula. I think that when he is ultra hungry he is going through a growth and when it decreases his body is resting. He is on a downswing right now and will only take about half of what he normally does. He has done this before so I am just going to ride it out unless it goes on for a week or more. He is 23 lbs and 30 inches long at 9 months so he is OK despite his up and down appetite!

I wouldn't worry unless it goes on for awhile but you could always just give your ped's nurse a call and see what they say.

Cindy

Mom to Grant born May 26, 2010

6lbs 9 oz & 20.5 inche

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 3:23pm
Cindy- Thanks for the reply! It makes me feel better. I think I will wait it out for a bit since Genevieve's been happy and seems okay. She has her 9 month check at the end of March, so hopefully her weight check is okay. It still freaks me out when she doesn't take much ( just now it was just 1 ounce!), but when I was nursing I never knew how much she was getting. So, I think I'll relax a bit.
Thanks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 3:24pm
Is it possible that your breastmilk had a higher number of calories in a smaller volume of milk? If that is the case it might take her some time to get use to eating a higher volume of the formula. I've also read that sometimes when they are going through a growth spurt they actually eat less...so maybe that could be happening?

My guess is if she's growing fine and having normal amounts of wet diapers she's fine but a call to the ped couldn't hurt...
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 12:28am
That's true about the calories, Caryn. I hadn't thought of that. And it's true- she could be having a growth spurt. I was also thinking maybe she's teething...

I'm backing off on solids because I do think it's a volume issue. She's not been fussy but spitting up more than usual. For the next few days I'll cut back on her solids since I've read that most nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula until one year. She eats three meals a day, so I'll just give her less food at a time. I'm hoping she'll adjust.
Today she took 16 oz for the day. Getting better. AND she had some really wet diapers.
I'm calling the ped at the end of the week if she's not drinking 20 ounces/24 hours by then.
Thanks for your advice!
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 6:05pm
Ty has been eating a lot of solid food with water in a sippy cup. (we should probably put the formula in the sippy cup) He loves food. We try to give him formula after feedings (he'll take about 1 oz) and then between feedings we give him only formula for a snack he'll take about 4 oz. I'm not sure how to handle this either because he doesn't really want a bottle. Mainly for comfort. We have an appointment on Monday so I'm going to ask.

Jeni
Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 9:27pm

I'm curious about what you found out at your appointment. I am just now weaning Ean, though he had been following a similar habit with nursing. He likes food most. The doctor told me it was okay as long as he was eating a variety of foods and being offered water/formula/breast or what have you as well. My problem now is getting him to take formula. So far it's no dice but the doctor assured me he would drink when he got hungry. It has been a few hours so I am hoping for success soon.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 11:34pm
She said this was fine. I'm guessing he'll wean himself from the bottle eventually. Once he can take regular milk we should put the milk or water in his sippy. She said he looks great and his weight is good so we should keep doing what we're doing. Hope that helps.

Jeni
Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)