My JB is too quiet

iVillage Member
My JB is too quiet
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 3:54pm

I don't know if you remember me posting about JB not looking at me when I BF him. Then all of the sudden he did and I wasn't worried any more. He is very interactive in that he watches everyone we do - responses to facial expressions and seemed to be in normal range for developement in all areas.

But...but...he doesn't CRY!? I'm not joking. We initially thought he hadn't figured out how to cry bc the first time we heard a cry was at 2 mos. Older brother had hit him hard - that is what it takes to get him to cry. I wrote in another thread that he cried when I put him in his own room - that's not entirely true. He grunted. He just grunts when he showing his disapproval. But he rarely even does that.

Isn't that weird? Ppl comment all the time on how quiet he is...barely talks (but does try to talk) and rarely cries. Is this just a mellow baby or what?

I've babysat a lot of kids in my time (I'm 38) and my mother ran a daycare and I have never seen such a mellow quiet baby. It's a tad unsettling...which might be bc my first son is so loud and rambuctious so my meter is off the charts...LOL.

Dee

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 8:00pm
Does he react to noise? IOW do you think his hearing is ok? That's what would concern me.

If that seems ok, and he's interacting better now and is otherwise developing, then it's probably just that he's mellow.

HOWEVER, I think mommy's intuition is very valid - so if you think something is "off," bring it up w/ the doctor. You can always get a birth-to-three eval. Better to get an eval and find there's nothing wrong than ignore your mommy sense and find out later something was missed.

Powered by
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 9:04pm
I know what you mean about it being disconcerting. Ryan cries very little - it's more whimpering/whining. I've never heard him scream. I think it's his personality, though, which is otherwise very laid back and slow to complain. He'll happily roll around in a full dirty diaper and never let me know until I smell something.

Is he meeting developmental milestones? Eye contact, social smiles, laughing, cooing, etc? You're in Canada, right? How easy would it be for you to request/get a special evaluation? Sounds like it might be worth it for your peace of mind. Do you have a family doctor you could take him to?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 11:44pm

I find the medical system here a bit lacking - they'll tell me they can't eval and social issues until he's at least 2 yrs old.

He does laugh and responds to his name so I know he's following everything. Maybe his really distractive, crazy, loud old brother is making him more of a watcher/silent observer. The more I watch them interact, the more I'm suspecting this...like Dylan is SO loud (and he is - it's crazy) that he wants to stay quiet.

I hope if that is the problem that I'm able to make sure he's heard over his brother. I don't want him feeling left out or not voicing his opinion bc he's being drowned out.

I checked the autistic websites and he has no other symptoms...but OCD/fixations and things like that can't really be seen at this age yet. We'll see.

Dee

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 10:54am
Probably just his sweetly demure personality :)

My DSD rarely cried as a baby - not when getting shots or blood drawn even. She started crying when her feelings could be hurt, or when her parents had to leave her (closer to 1 year). She's a spoiled little scamp ;) but perfectly *healthy* otherwise.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 9:25pm
The more you say about him, the more I think it's more a personality thing. I sorta wish I had a quiet, mellow baby ... but neither of my girls qualifies. At least when they're with me at home. When we're out or if people are around, V is sweet as pie!