Solid woes: anyone else have a food hater?

iVillage Member
Solid woes: anyone else have a food hater?
Mon, 12-20-2010 - 2:27pm

We've tried slowly over this last month to introduce some solids. I tried just a small spoonful here and there to see if she was interested. She HATES it! Now she is over six months and I have yet to find anything she'll eat. I never had this problem with any of my other kids. I've tried rice cereal, oatmeal (I tried it with and withot some cinnamon). pears, banana (which she didn't mind the flavor of but it was just mashed and she gagged and that was the end of that), sweet potato (also wasn't as horrified by this but by no means loved it) and squash. What to do? She did gum a Farley's Biscuit but those things have suger in them. Gah! Anyone else with a boob-only baby after six months? Any tips or ideas? I just don't have timefor this battle right now and I'm worried that if I wait too much longer she's going to be even harder to get to like new flavors and foods.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-26-2010 - 7:42pm
Sounds like she's starting to eat more solids, but it's not a big deal if she's slower to pick it up.

Breastmilk is ideal infant food for the first year, and solids are really just practice. Even at a full year, breastmilk should be the source of 75% of calories (or more).

It used to be thought that there was a "window" where you had to introduce solids, but it just isn't so. A child will eventually take solids, some of them just wait longer to do so.

Also some babies just don't like the whole puree thing and prefer to wait till they can do finger foods and feed themselves.