stopped nursing for 3 days.. HELP!

iVillage Member
stopped nursing for 3 days.. HELP!
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:16am

I thought I wanted to switch for formula, but now after 3 days of going cold-turkey on the nursing i'm feeling SO GUILTY and I wonder if I can get the nursing back on track??

HOw can I do this and how long will it take to get back to where we were pre-formula?

I put baby to breast for a few minutes on each side this morning and she took to it a little. Should I get a pump? I have already gone through the engorgement stage of letting the milk dry up, but it sounded like she was swallowing a little while at the breast. Is that good?

HELP!! asap!

Lilypiepregnant

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Lilypiepregnant
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:57am

I'm trying to get my supply back up too. Its not easy. I've been pumping every 2 hours and letting her nurse 3-4 times a day (although she only nurses for a minute or two because she gets mad that she isn't getting much). I'm also taking Reglan that my OB prescribed me. Its a slow process but my milk is coming back.

You can order domperidone online. I've heard of a lot of bf'ers taking it to increase supply.

Good luck!
B

Photobucket
Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

wedding planning

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 10:07am
How long had you stopped for?
Lilypiepregnant

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Lilypiepregnant
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 10:38am

I never completely stopped, I was stressed out because my mother was here and riding my ass that I was starving my baby so I stopped nursing so I could see how much she was eating. When I started pumping I was only getting about 3 ounces at a time so I supplemented with formula. I talked to a La Leache League person and she said my boobs are underdeveloped and too far apart so I probably would never have an ample supply; I then gave up on exclusively bfing. Last Wed I went for my 6week pp check up and talked to my doctor about it and he told me the LLL chick was full of sh*t and he gave me the prescription for the reglan and a number for the lactation consultant his wife uses and told me not to give up. So I'm back at it.

It was a good 2 weeks where I only pumped once a day though so my supply was nearly gone. When I started the reglan I was getting about a 1/2oz a day. Now I'm getting about 2oz a day so I know its working. I also drink the Mothers Milk tea 3-4 times a day.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

wedding planning

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 11:37am

You should see if you can get in to see a lactation consultant ASAP. I don't have any advice for you, but a good LC can be a lifesaver. She'll likely have you pump in addition to bfing to help your supply, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck!!!

Lauren

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:51pm

I definitely think you can get your supply back.