Teething? Reflux? Something Else?

iVillage Member
Teething? Reflux? Something Else?
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 6:42pm

Hi Ladies,

My little man has been super fussy lately and I'm starting to get really frustrated. I feel like I'm doing something wrong! He has his bottom 2 teeth, one top one just broke through and another bud is right under the gum on top. So yes, he's teething. But does teething last for WEEKS?!?! I didn't have this with my daughter! He basically just screams from 4pm on. He wasn't colicky and he sleeps well. Usually late afternoon crying is associated with being overtired, but he sleeps from 5:30p-6 or 6:30am, and naps around 2.5hrs daily. So that's not his problem! He had an ear infection a couple weeks ago and was on amoxicillin for 10 days. I thought this was why he was so cranky because he spit up a lot. I thought maybe it was making his stomach upset, and I think it was because he had a lot of poopy diapers too. So we were done with that and the spitting up and diaper changes improved, but he's still a crank pot! And he won't let anyone out of his sight without crying!!! I'm getting so fed up that I just want to cry! He's getting an 8oz formula bottle in the morning, noon, and bedtime. He eats one container of #2 bananas around 9am and I feed him about 1/2 fruit and 1/2 veggie around 2:30pm. Am I feeding him too much? I was also wondering if the orange veggies or

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-28-2011 - 5:51pm
Teething can last weeks but once they break through it should stop hurting. He could be getting more teeth. It sounds like he might also be going through separation anxiety, I have read that they can go through that about this age. It doesn't sound like you are feeding him too much. You might want to try adding a bottle or solids around dinner, he might be hungry or thirsty about that time.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 3:29pm
It sounds like it could be diet related to me. My JB has problems with dairy and soy and before we knew that 5 o'clock on was miserable and she screamed the whole time. Maybe you could scale back on the foods to ones you know he was eating before this cranky period began? The acids in some fruits may be causing an issue. We've found that raspberries and blueberries gave our JB a HORRIBLE diaper rash with blisters that popped open.

I wouldn't think you're feeding him too much. I nurse 5x a day (7, 11, 3, 6, 8:30) and she eats 3x a day.

GL!!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 3:35pm
Oh, my! That sounds so frustrating, Laura! This age can be so frustrating because even though they are more interactive, they still have no way to communicate what they want.
I agree - maybe he's teething. G will go through spurts where she'll be really fussy for no apparent reason. Maybe add some solids at night or look at his nap schedule. Maybe his afternoon nap can be shifted so he doesn't get over-tired in the afternoon. My guess is it's not the acidity of the food because usually that will give a diaper rash. Check with your ped if you are really concerned. Maybe they have some good insights.
Good luck! =)
Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers