Tips for a fussy baby

iVillage Member
Tips for a fussy baby
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 8:26pm

How do you deal with JB when they are fussy? What tips and tricks work best for you?

Edited 7/23/2010 8:27 pm ET by klo0924
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 8:28pm
Natalie tends to go through fussy phases. Can't really tell when the phase will happen. Either afternoon, evening, etc. But it always happens in a chunk. She will nurse off and on and basically scream and cat nap. Somedays they don't happen at all. The only thing that works for us is rocking and letting her suck on a pinkie finger. This was the only thing that worked with DD1 (Becca) too. Of course she prefers me to DH. As DH likes to say, when he is trying to calm her down, she screams like someone is putting a hot poker in her eye.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 8:42pm
My JB tends to get fussy at about 5/6pm til about 10pm. The best way to calm her is to swaddle her and rock her & give her the pacifier. She also loves our sleepy wrap (like the Maya Wrap).
Siggy June 2010
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 10:15pm
We have cranky hour between 6-7pm..thankfully he is a pretty placid baby sowrapping him and rocking generally does the trick.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 10:35pm
Sophia has some tough evening hours. Sometimes just continued rocking works. Otherwise, she likes to lay flat on her back while I wiggle her legs around to help her with gas :)

seuss siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 10:56pm
The gas pains can be a big problem..And Raphael is certainly a farter LOL.Bicycle legs usually works here too.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 7:06am
Wher Abby is fussy during the day, usually a paci and walking around helps calm her. She also has a fussy time around 5 in the morning...she is usually still sleeping while fussing too, so we put her in her swing and that seems to help! (and then I can lay on the couch and sleep some more!!)

Photobucket

Photobucket    

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 10:17am
Well I guess it depends on what is making her fussy what works best for us. When she is overtired, I find that keeping the lights low and sounds quiet help a lot, and holding her close and bouncing and swaying/walking around helps her nod off. When she has gas pains, holding her on her tummy, lying across my arm (head is in my elbow, tummy is in my hand), and bouncing/walking around while patting her back seems to help calm her down. Pretty much as long as she is moving she is calm. She also sometimes prefers to be in her swing when she is tired, but only during the day, she doesn't like her swing at night. I guess because she sleeps with me, so when she's tired, and wants to go to sleep, she knows I'm supposed to be there too?
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
Nursing Bras at NurturedFamily.comMaya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured FamilyPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 5:02pm
What works best for us is putting Bryson in his stroller and going for a walk. As long as he is moving he is happy. Most of the time he even falls asleep. Although as soon as the stroller stops moving he wakes up most of the time.
Photobucket
Photobucket