Uh oh, WWYD with a BF baby who hates Formula, but is weaning?

iVillage Member
Uh oh, WWYD with a BF baby who hates Formula, but is weaning?
Sat, 03-05-2011 - 10:38pm

DS 1 was FF from the get go and did it like a champ until his magical switch over to regular milk at like 11 months or so. However... Ean, my little ornery jitter bug has been uber attached to BFing. He rejected solids at first but finally has gotten on the bandwagon. He just now has gotten where he will sort of deign to take some sips out of his sippy cup (flat out rejected a bottle). He HATES formula though and will not drink it. I tried to wean him a month or so ago and he went an entire day without drinking (I thought eventually he would cave, but I ended up being the one who caved and put him back to breast after 10 hours). Needless to say, I don't feel comfortable with the fact that he seems to be self weaning now when I know he hates formula. Any advice? I've got no idea what to do but feel I should be supplementing now because he has backed off a ton.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
This website has a lot of great advice about feeding babies - even homemade formlas.

http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/318-feeding-babies.html

Good luck,

Dee
iVillage Member
I'd heard of that formula actually. I saw it compared to Similac soy and something else that we tried as far as good ones for picky babies. We tried the others with no success, but I've not got a whole foods to go to so I think I might have to search a little harder to find this one. I'm still not sure what is going to happen with him or if he is actually weaning.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Oh, boy! What a little stinker!! I guess you could try different formulas to see if he'll take one. The one we use with JB has the tiniest hint of vanilla- nothing you can distinguish, but it makes it smell MUCH better than regular formula, and when I was reading the reviews for it on amazon, there were quite a few people that said it was the only formula their baby would drink. It's called Baby's Only organic formula. We found it at Whole foods.
http://www.naturesone.com/dairy/

Good luck!! I hope he caves for you!
Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Gosh, that's a tough one. Could you give him solids and water in the sippy? Some baby yogurt and baby food meat or little bits of meat should make up for the nutrients. ???? Have you asked his doctor what you can give him to substitute? There's gotta be a way to get him the nutrients.

Ty LOVES his food and drinks out of a sippy and can already use a straw. I'm struggling with when to give him formula and how much since he really really likes regular food. Thankfully we have his 9 month check up coming up and I need to talk to the doc about that. This parenting thing is tricky.

Jeni
Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)