When do you know if its an ear infection??

iVillage Member
When do you know if its an ear infection??
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 7:55pm

How do you know when your LO has an ear infection? Wes does not have a fever, is eating and sleeping fine, but

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 10:16pm
Lots of time if my kids had an ear infection they didn't run fever. With my kids I knew it was an ear infection if they didn't sleep well and didn't want to nurse. Sometimes they were fussy sometimes not.

Could he be teething?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-18-2011 - 10:55pm
Ty's had 2 ear infections already and it seems like he might have another one. Larson had lots too. Usually around the time the teeth came in. If there's a lot of drooling or extra snot, sometimes it gets behind the ears, bacteria grows better back there, and gets infected. It doesn't go away on it's own. With medication they start to feel much better in 12-24 hours.

None of my kids developed a fever with their ear infections. We could tell because they pulled at their ears and didn't want to sleep. Every time they lay down they cry and they wake frequently through the night. Larson would just be so irritable and cranky. We finally figured out every time he acted a certain way it was an ear infection. Another sign is lack of interest in eating.
Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-19-2011 - 6:56pm

Thanks!

Wes is eating and sleeping fine. He has even been less fussy the last couple of days so I am going to assume he's OK. He does still pull at his ear but I guess than doesn't mean much on its own.

Nicki

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 3:04pm
How's he doing now? Yes, pulling on ears doesn't necessarily mean it's an ear infection. Sometimes it's tiredness, teeth, habit, or just playing around.

Turns out Ty didn't have an ear infection. Just a cold and some irritability.
Jeni Wife to Jeff (8 yrs) Mommy to Lars (7 Yrs), Ali (5 Yrs) and Ty (1)
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 1:11am
Thanks for this thread!! Evan has been pulling at his ears for the past 2 weeks. Since he's sleeping fine, I guess he's okay. Now I know what to look for :)

Dee