Won't look at you?

iVillage Member
Won't look at you?
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 1:53pm

I'm starting to worry something might be wrong with my JB. He never looks at me :( When I hold him and look at his face...his eyes are always straining to look upwards and not at me. Sometimes, he'll be looking to the side but it's mostly UP. If I try to force it by tilting him so we are eye level, he just moves his head on me. When I say "hi Evan"...he gives me big smiles but doesn't try to find the voice w/his eyes.

DS1 was trying to look at me by this age and never did this. Is it normal or could something be wrong w/him????

Dee

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 2:56pm
I really dont know when they should be able to fixate or follow things. Has he started to reach for toys or grab at things?
I would say something at his 2 month appt if you still have concerns by then.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:08pm

We don't have "well baby" visits here in Canada. We don't have peds either so I'm not too optimistic that my general practioner will know what's "normal" anyway. Tho she does have 3 children of her own...so maybe...but I need to take DS1 in for something so maybe I'll mention it to her then and see what she says.

I googled it and the whole page came up with SIDS related articles...not to reassuring! Sometimes research on the internet is not such a good thing...

Dee

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:36pm

Hi Dee : )

Sometimes too much information is not so good!
While eye contact or lack of it can be considered a 'marker' it is also normal newborn behaviour to look up and to the side,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 6:35pm

Will you be seeing the public health nurse for the 2 month shots/ check-up? She would know what was normal, that is what they do. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 2:47pm
I wouldn't worry too much quite yet. I have read that babies that are easily overstimulated or sensitive will look away if the are overwhelmed. It could be that as his mom, looking you in the eye is too much emotion for him right now. I hope that doesn't sound silly I just don't know how to word it!

Cindy

Mom to Grant born May 26, 2010

6lbs 9 oz & 20.5 inches long

Cindy

Mom to Grant born May 26, 2010

6lbs 9 oz & 20.5 inche