Potty Training

iVillage Member
Potty Training
Fri, 10-14-2011 - 8:15pm

I was just wondering if anyone has started potty training their LOs yet or are thinking about it.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-15-2011 - 12:28pm
You seem to have pinned the two schools of thought on the head. I can tell you that I think it varies from child to child what works. I have number three due in April, so I am right there with you. I've been considering the same things. If you wait until they're ready, what are you going to use as your cue to let you know their ready? My oldest was god awful to potty training. I'm telling you--terrible! We started at 26 months, I believe it was. We did the run around the house naked thing so he could get to the potty quickly. It was a nightmare. He initially wouldn't ever try and go to the potty when he had pants or undies on. The only thing he associated with getting to the potty was if he was butt naked from the waist down. That phase persisted for nearly a year. He didn't 'fully' train until he hit 4. Non stop accidents, pants changes, ruined carpet, etc until he was FOUR. It was horrendous! He still will wet the bed occasionally at night, which I tend to think is a bit ridiculous because he is four but I try to calm myself down about the whole thing.

Regardless we waited until he gave us the cue and it was one of the most stressful things of my life.

I was talking to the owner of our local cloth diaper store the other day and she suggested taking advantage of the window of opportunity around 16-18 months to start setting them on the potty occasionally and encouraging the bathroom. I am thinking I will try that with Ean since Daley didn't go in any manner that I'd like to repeat. Another European mom I spoke to said it is also what she did. It's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you can always take a different approach later.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 7:33pm
Both of my children were late trainers. As much as you would like them to go potty, they just plain won't go before they're ready. I tried intermittently between 1 1/2 and 3, and never had any luck until after 3, when they were old enough to understand the concept, mature enough to have the muscle development, and be thrilled over rewards. :)
~CMod Heather Mom of 2, Elisabeth (5) & Rebekah (3)
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 12:23am
I'd suggest definitely letting your LO sit on a potty, not the toilet. The toilet can be scary bc they feel like they'll fall in. Just bring the potty into your bathroom and when you go, sit them on theirs. Modeling behaviour is how they learn.

I did toilet train my DS at 20 mos so it's doable...but we EC for the first year so that might make a difference (or not). But when DS2 came along, we started getting accidents for a bit. Then he was fine...mommy goes back to work...and more accidents...grrr...he's 3.5 and was totally trained but went and had an accident today! I'm not sure what it is up with that bc he doesn't even wet the bed anymore. I guess what I'm saying is that it's a VERY long process so there is no reason you can take baby steps and see how your LO responds :)

GL!
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 3:04pm
How did you do with the EC? I've heard about it, but I don't think I'd have the patience... although I think the money savings might be worthwhile.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 1:48am

I had a cousin who did EC on her second son.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:06am

To be honest, potty training is not even on my radar right now. With my first DD, we started trying at around 18 mos, but it never really stuck. I don't think she really "got it." So when she was three we just did cold turkey- straight to undies. We had a bunch of accidents the first few days, but it worked pretty quickly for us. Anyways, I would say it depends on the kid, so if you think he's ready, give it a try. Just remember that he's

Lauren Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers